Tuesday, April 13, 2021 — Houston, TX 81°

Trick-or-treat: Rice students in costume

halloween

By Ella Feldman     11/3/20 10:16pm

This weekend, the pandemic didn’t stop Rice students from safely celebrating Halloween. We asked and you delivered — here are some of this weekend’s best costumes.

Photo Courtesy Sara Sozen

“This year I went as Katara from [“Avatar: The Last Airbender”]! A few friends and I all dressed up as different characters from the show, I decided to go as Katara because she was one of my favorites and I really liked her Fire Nation outfit. Because I didn’t have time to go shopping this year, I DIYed my costume and sewed the entire thing by hand, including accessories!” — Serra Sozen, Sid Richardson College senior

Courtesy Blaise Willis

“I did an outfit entirely from items in my closet inspired by one of my favorite video game series growing up, Portal! (Yes, I did already have white go-go boots.) I also did some matching eyeshadow in the game’s color scheme.” — Blaise Willis, Duncan College junior

Courtesy Hannah George

“I was Yennefer of Vengerberg from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt! My costume was a mishmash of thrifted pieces, things already in my closet, and a few things off of Amazon (a belt, gloves, feathers). I’ve wanted to be Yen since this winter when the Netflix version of The Witcher came out.” — Hannah George, Wiess College senior

Photo Courtesy Eli Acuna

“My lovely dog Kiko is a ferocious pumpkin!” — Eli Acuña, Will Rice College junior 

Black at Rice: Edesiri Mushale discusses mechanical engineering and passion for people

When Edesiri Mushale was in high school, he thought he wanted to be a doctor.  “My mom is a nurse and I really liked helping people,” Mushale, a McMurtry College senior, said. “I didn’t really realize how long the process [of becoming a doctor] was going to be.”  However, his experiences on various robotics teams led him to change his interests. Mushale first joined the robotics team in the seventh grade; in high school, he continued with the activity and joined a larger team.