Sunday, October 24, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Trick-or-treat: Rice students in costume

halloween

By Ella Feldman     11/3/20 10:16pm

This weekend, the pandemic didn’t stop Rice students from safely celebrating Halloween. We asked and you delivered — here are some of this weekend’s best costumes.

Photo Courtesy Sara Sozen

“This year I went as Katara from [“Avatar: The Last Airbender”]! A few friends and I all dressed up as different characters from the show, I decided to go as Katara because she was one of my favorites and I really liked her Fire Nation outfit. Because I didn’t have time to go shopping this year, I DIYed my costume and sewed the entire thing by hand, including accessories!” — Serra Sozen, Sid Richardson College senior

Courtesy Blaise Willis

“I did an outfit entirely from items in my closet inspired by one of my favorite video game series growing up, Portal! (Yes, I did already have white go-go boots.) I also did some matching eyeshadow in the game’s color scheme.” — Blaise Willis, Duncan College junior

Courtesy Hannah George

“I was Yennefer of Vengerberg from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt! My costume was a mishmash of thrifted pieces, things already in my closet, and a few things off of Amazon (a belt, gloves, feathers). I’ve wanted to be Yen since this winter when the Netflix version of The Witcher came out.” — Hannah George, Wiess College senior

Photo Courtesy Eli Acuna

“My lovely dog Kiko is a ferocious pumpkin!” — Eli Acuña, Will Rice College junior 

Owl, Sydney Ying twirls her way onto the Rockets dance team

Chris Boswell, kicker for the Pittsburgh Steelers; Erica Ogwumike, basketball player for the Nigerian national team; Nicole Mericle, professional Spartan Racer — all these athletes have put blood, sweat and tears into their sport to make it to the professional level. Now you can add Sydney Ying, a sophomore at Sid Richardson College and new member of the Houston Rockets Clutch City Dance Team, to the list.