Songs For Quiet Time Pt. 2

songs-for-quiet-time-pt-2
Photo by Lia Pikus | The Rice Thresher
Illustrated by Lia Pikus

By Lia Pikus     10/27/20 11:36pm

Back in April, the Thresher compiled a playlist of songs submitted by students that made them feel more grounded while swimming in the sea of COVID-19 chaos. Now, seven months and a seeming lifetime later, the series is back for a second installment, “Songs For Quiet Time Pt. 2.” We asked the same two questions to those who submitted music: What songs or artists have been helping you get through self-isolation, and how have they helped you do so? Once again, the responses fell all over the spectrum — within the 53 minutes of submitted music, there is certainly something for everyone. During this time and always, music provides the unique ability to share the intangible, connecting people through mutual experience and feeling; we hope that this playlist can do the same. Enjoy!

“Cloudbusting” by Kate Bush

This semester, I've found a new love for Kate Bush. Her music tells beautiful, intricate stories and this semester especially, they're a perfect place to get lost in. I throw on my headphones, sit back and wander through the different worlds of her music. “Cloudbusting” has been a special favorite and I think the song's story of both melancholy and optimism is one that we can all relate to right now. 

• Bella Bunten, Brown College ’21

“Manta Rays” by Chloe Moriondo

A sort of laid-back song that said a lot of what I was feeling with this one person I never got to see after we were sent home in March. It’s fun and upbeat but really earnest in its tone; had it on repeat for weeks.

• Joshua Harper, Lovett College ’23

“Pang” (Album) by Caroline Polachek

I walk around at night a lot nowadays. The streets are empty and they can be mine now. I lay on Bissonet St. I walk across the 69 bridges many times. Caroline Polachek asks, "who is the you I sing to when the house is empty?" I sit on the tennis court and squint to make out Orion and maybe Mars. I only get my steps in during the a.m.s. Caroline Polachek asks, "will you be a shipwreck or a star? Falling for a boy who doesn't play guitar?" Oh well. It's four a.m. I put "Ocean of Tears" on repeat.

• Jacob Tate, McMurtry College ’22

“Visions” (Appleville Live Performance) by Charli XCX

I'm crying in Fondy because Monica Roberts died. (I got pictures in my mind.) There is so much suffering, so much death. (Visions coming every night.) I don't believe in heaven but I wish I did. (I can see it so clearly, see it all so bright). I'm listening to this on repeat. (I can see it so clearly and it looks so right). 

• Jacob Tate, McMurtry ’22

“Home to You” by Sigrid

I could never pick a favorite song until I heard “Home to You.” This song makes me feel homesick even when I'm stuck at home. I love Sigrid's delicate voice and the way she sings this song with so much emotion.

• Rohini Kumar, McMurtry ‘21

“Giving up Remix,” “Green Flame” and “Have a Good Day Based Knowledge” by Lil B

Lil B saved my life. Lil B is a Rapper from Berkeley, California who releases off the cuff music about a variety of topics in a rare and indescribable style that can only be defined as "stimulating.” He will jump from persona to persona (regular Lil B or more often "Based God") and regularly release 100+ song albums bouncing from serious introspective/uplifting songs ("No Black Person is Ugly", "By Any Means"), Hyperbolic/satirical takes on "the rap genre" ("1000 Bitches", "Making Money in the Room Based Freestyle"), to music that can only really be described as white noise ("Cowboy Riding Horses in Illinois", "Alien Booty"). Lil B always keeps you guessing on what will come next, and quite frequently even breaks the fourth wall addressing the listener directly — which, combined, creates an incredibly personal experience. Lil B recognizes both the absurdity in life and in his music, and will drop uniquely "based" gems of wisdom that speak for themselves: "Motherfuckers losing they life every day, sometimes babies getting born and they die. You alive, you listening to this.” Thank you BasedGod for breaking the monotony of life and living a musically altruistic existence ??

• Freddy Cavallaro, Will Rice College ’20

“This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)” by Talking Heads 

The calming ostinato in the background with the song's upbeat vibes and David Byrne's lyrical work make this song a magical experience. The version from Stop Making Sense is even better. 

• Grant Parajuli, Baker College ’23

“A Horse with No Name” by America

Honestly, the first time I heard this song last week was the first time I really, actually felt happy this semester. there's this sing-songy part that goes "LaaaLaaalalalala" and I was singing along and bobbing my head and I looked in the mirror and realized that I was smiling. I was really, actually smiling. Despite all the ways I had fucked up my GPA, my social life and mental health, I really did have an actual smile on my face for once. I wasn't literally pulling my hair out from stress, or crying from the extended social isolation, or moping while I tried to turn in my assignments late. I was smiling! and it was just really nice :) 

• Juan Rubio, Hanszen College ’23

“Mrs. Robinson” by Simon and Garfunkel

This song was a favorite of mine and my brother’s, who I haven't seen in a couple of years. During my senior year of high school, he was convicted of a nonviolent drug offense and was sentenced to a while in prison. So, in the few months before he had to turn himself in, I'd skip school and we would watch movies and eat shitty food together. One of our favorite movies was “The Graduate,” which he'd like to tease me about because I was about to graduate and head to college. Our favorite song from the movie was Mrs. Robinson, and we would rewatch the movie just for the song or listen to it in the car whenever we went anywhere. Even today, listening to this song reminds me of all the dumb inside jokes we had, or the goofy way he would look at me and say "milkshakes?" and we would run to the car to get shitty vanilla milkshakes from McDonald's. The song makes me a little sad, because COVID means I can't visit him anymore, but it also makes me really happy because it reminds me of a time that was so much easier to live through. I know this isn't the most conventional feel-good song, but it would make me super happy if even just one person heard it and liked it enough to hum it on their way to the car to get milkshakes, the way I still do :)

• Juan Rubio, Hanszen ‘23