Weekly Screen: Week of April 1

weeklyscene-tinaliu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

For our lovely readers, you may know that “The Weekly Scene” is a regular fixture of the Thresher’s print A&E section that promotes local arts events both on campus and throughout Houston every week. However, due to campus and city-wide restrictions on public gatherings due to the COVID-19 outbreak and our subsequent inability to print issues for the remainder of the semester, the Weekly Scene is sadly obsolete at the moment. Thus, to fill the gap in my heart left by my beloved little column, I’d like to present the Weekly Screen: a short list of TV, movies and videos to check out from the socially-distanced comfort of your home. 

Tell us what YOU’RE loving at the moment by submitting a recommendation here and check our email newsletter every week to find out what your fellow Owls are filling their non-Zoom screen time with. Happy watching!  

• Katelyn Landry, A&E editor

‘Portrait of a Lady on Fire’ 

The male gaze is completely absent in this gorgeous, highly-awarded French film, which features two woman who fall in love under less-than-ideal circumstances. No more spoilers, but a quick summary: men speak a total of one collective line in the film, any screenshot of the film could qualify as a Renaissance painting and the main actress, Adèle Haenel, is the one who walked out of the César awards when a convicted rapist won

Now streaming on Hulu

Recommended by Anna Ta and Christina Tan 

‘Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness’

Rednecks meet ravenous carnivores in the internet's latest obsession, “Tiger King.” The seven-part Netflix docuseries follows Joe Exotic, the former owner of an exotic animal zoo who looks like the chaotic lovechild of Steve Irwin and Guy Fieri. Even with lions, tigers and bears on the prowl, the only jungle to be found is the utter pandemonium of the big cat breeding industry and the fierce competition between wildlife enthusiasts throughout the U.S. Exotic was convicted and sentenced to 22 years in federal prison for a murder-for-hire scheme targeting animal rights activist Carole Baskin. With as much true crime as exotic spectacle, the show has even reignited a 1997 cold case of the disappearance of Baskin’s late husband Don Lewis, of which Baskin is a prime suspect. 

Now streaming on Netflix

Sitcom Swan Songs: ‘Modern Family’ and ‘Schitt’s Creek’ 

After 11 years of laughs, comedy sitcom Modern Family will air its series finale next Wednesday, April 8 at 7 p.m. CST on ABC. The two-part, one hour episode will be preceded by a one-hour special tribute documentary titled “A Modern Farewell” giving fans a bittersweet parting glimpse at the beloved series with behind the scenes footage from the show’s 250 episodes and interviews with the cast and crew. 

Canadian comedy sitcom Schitt’s Creek will also be closing its curtain this month with its series finale which will be simulcast on Pop TV, Comedy Central, and Logo on Tuesday, April 7 at 7 p.m. CST. Fans of the show will also be able to enjoy an hourlong documentary special titled “Best Wishes, Warmest Regards: A Schitt’s Creek Farewell” immediately following the finale episode.