The Weekly Screen: The Week of March 23

weeklyscene-tinaliu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

For our lovely readers, you may know that “The Weekly Scene” is a regular fixture of the Thresher’s print A&E section that promotes local arts events both on campus and throughout Houston every week. However, due to campus and city-wide restrictions on public gatherings due to the COVID-19 outbreak and our subsequent inability to print issues for the remainder of the semester, the Weekly Scene is sadly obsolete at the moment. Thus, to fill the gap in my heart left by my beloved little column, I’d like to present the Weekly Screen: a short list of TV, movies and videos recommended by our staff for you to check out from the socially-distanced comfort of your home. Check our email newsletter every week to find out what we’re loving each week. Happy watching!  

• Katelyn Landry, A&E editor

‘Two Popes’ (2019)

Remember when we were all kids going to mass and the pope abdicated for the first time since 1415? And then the new pope was announced and he was surprisingly adorable and a sign of change in the Church toward progressivism? No? Just me? Well don’t worry, you don’t have to have grown up Catholic to enjoy this hidden gem of a Netflix movie, which somehow polishes Catholic drama into a story that is at turns wholesome, comedic and emotional. At one part of the film, the popes argue over take-out pizza and bottled Fanta; at another, Pope Francis delves into his painful past as a Jesuit priest during Argentina’s ruthless and bloody dictatorship. This film is a surprising delight not only because of how good it is, but also because of how it makes the figurehead of an ancient and sacred institution feel as coarse and imperfect as any human. As one reviewer put it on Letterboxd: “They may be popes, but they’re also … my friends.”

Recommended by Anna Ta, managing editor 

Where to watch: Netflix 

‘Elite’ Season 3

“Gossip Girl” lovers, meet “Elite.” The teen drama show, found on Netflix, features a cast of extremely hot actors who definitely don’t look like they’re in high school, but we’ll go along with it anyway. A show where the high schoolers cheat on homework and each other, pop molly in the club and live luxuriously, but lead deeply chaotic and often dark lives, “Elite” is sure to entertain all watchers. Plus, it’s a great show to watch with friends, with borderline ridiculous scenes, uncomfortable sexy moments and shocking twists with every episode. Season three was released March 13, meaning newcomers to the series have 24 episodes to binge. Subtitle haters bewarned: The show is entirely in Spanish, so if you can’t speak the language, it’s time for you to overcome the one-inch tall barrier.

Recommended by Christina Tan, editor-in-chief

Where to watch: Netflix 

‘Marianne’

If you’ve watched all the horror movies on Netflix or are desperately searching for irrational fear to distract from ever-mounting fear of reality like I am, do I have the show for you! “Marianne” is a French horror TV series about Emma Larsimon, a famous horror novelist who is lured back to her hometown by Marianne, an evil witch who has haunted Larsimon’s dreams from beyond the grave since childhood. We’re not talking cauldrons and broomsticks here — Marianne wreaks horrifying, gruesome havoc on Larsimon’s family and friends with schoolyard tragedy, demonic possession and some seriously disturbing dental work. The cliffhanger at the end of season one, though, is perhaps most cruel since the series was recently canceled by Netlifx and will not return for a second season. So sink your teeth into this gory gem before it’s buried six feet under. Trigger warning: Episode 1 of Marianne includes suicide. 

Recommended by Katelyn Landry, A&E editor

Where to watch: Netflix

Julien Solomita 

I love Bon Appetit as much as the next guy, but Julien Solomita’s cooking videos just have that charming human touch that I need most during this isolating time. Roughly ranging from 15-30 minutes, Solomita’s videos feature a wide variety of recipes made all the more signature by the chef’s vegan ingredient substitutions and chaotic improvisations that he attributes to his Aries-induced tendencies. You may recognize Solomita if you’re a fan of Jenna Marbles, one of YouTube’s oldest and most famous creators — the two have been dating for several years, and although I’m never one to fawn over internet couples, I will simply stop believing in love if they ever split. Sprinkled between the cooking videos are occasional vlogs of Solomita and Marbles’ adorable and slightly internet-famous dogs — between the couple goals, wholesome pups and vegan recipes, there’s hardly any time for me to peel my eyes from my phone screen. It’s Aries season, so what better time to visit the Aries Kitchen? 

Where to watch: YouTube