Monday, September 26, 2022 — Houston, TX

Santiago, age 9, ‘signs on’ to Rice’s Track and Field team

dsc01263
Courtesy of Rice Athletics

By Michael Byrnes     3/3/20 10:26pm

On Saturday, Rice Athletics announced the signing of a new member of the men’s track and field team: Santiago White, from Sugar Land. The athletic department prepared a typical day of signing festivities: a press conference, some short speeches, an official backdrop for photos. But one thing was different: Santiago is 9 years old. 

No, Santiago (or Santi, as he’s known by the team) won’t be running for Rice this year. Instead, he’s become part of the team through a joint effort between Rice Athletics and Team IMPACT, an organization that pairs children suffering from chronic illnesses with college athletics teams across the country. According to JP Abercrumbie, assistant athletic director for student-athlete development, the program helps give children like Santi an additional community to be a part of while they battle their illness.

“[Santi] has recently discovered a passion for running, so when Team IMPACT reached out … it was a great opportunity for us to see [how] our men’s track team was willing to be that big brother and support network for him,” Abercrumbie said. “And now he has about 40 new family members that he can lean on for [additional support].” 

Rice has been working with Team IMPACT for a few years, and Abercrumbie said Santi joins two other children who have been partnered with Rice’s soccer and volleyball teams. In Santi’s case, he is battling cystic fibrosis, a lifelong disease primarily affecting the lungs. According to Abercrumbie, one of the men’s track and field team’s primary roles in the relationship will be to help Santi out when he’s undergoing care at the nearby Texas Medical Center.

“When he may be going through treatments and [feeling] a little down, it’s an opportunity to provide a support network for him to uplift him, so that he knows he’s not going through these treatments alone,” Abercrumbie said. “So instead of getting bogged down with the treatments or being in the hospital rooms alone, our guys … can go over [to the medical center] and visit him.”

Freshman track athlete Travis Dowd, who helped organize the signing day event, said the track and field team really got to know Santi when he spent a Saturday afternoon with the team earlier this year.

“[On] Saturday, we do long runs in the morning and then we eat brunch together as a team … and then go and play horse pool,” Dowd said. “[Santi] played [horse pool] with us, and now he’s into it too. He [beat] a lot of people — it was really funny; he had us all cracking up. Hopefully we can get him out to a lot more brunches and meets [this year].”

The signing day was a lighthearted event, with Santi fielding entertaining questions from the audience after his official signing. At one point, a track and field athlete asked “If you couldn’t run for the rest of your life, what sport do you think you’d play instead?” Without missing a beat, Santi replied “Horse pool.” The team roared its approval.  

Overall, Dowd said Santi has had a positive effect on the team. 

“He’s definitely made [the team] more lighthearted,” Dowd said. “He’s always upbeat; he’s always energetic and willing to try new stuff. Like we’ll just be walking around campus and he’s jumping off little ledges and making his mom yell at him … [he’s] really funny.” 

50 years later, Rice’s first Black student-athletes reflect on their impact

Stahlé Vincent came back to Rice over the weekend. But this time, he got a different reception than he did when he first set foot on campus over five decades ago. “[When I first got here] there was not an open-arm reception,” Vincient said. “There were people who never spoke [to me], people avoided me, I had professors who wouldn’t call my name at roll. There was an animus there that you could feel.”

After 350 wins, Volpe still isn’t thinking about her legacy

During her 19-year tenure, Rice volleyball head coach Genny Volpe has led the Owls to seven NCAA tournaments, two conference championships, 14 winning seasons and, as of Aug. 26’s victory over the University of Houston, 350 wins. With the Owls back in the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s top 25 as of Monday, those numbers seem poised to keep improving. This is a flooring amount of success for a program that had never even been to the tournament until Volpe was hired, but she is far from willing to take sole credit. 

Volleyball upsets No. 17 Creighton, jumps into top-25

On Sunday, a flock of birds rose victorious above Tudor fieldhouse and it wasn’t a band of blue jays. After five intense sets, the Owls team took down No. 17 Creighton University on a second match point, capping off a tournament which started off with a reverse sweep of Big 12 opponent Kansas State University. After missing out on the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s Top 25 last week by one spot, the defining weekend was enough to jump the Rice volleyball team to No. 23 on the rankings.