Tuesday, April 13, 2021 — Houston, TX 73°

No, mainstream media isn’t sensationalizing COVID-19

headshot
Courtesy Alexa Thomases

By Alexa Thomases     3/31/20 3:55pm

We’ve seen it happen time and again: clambering for attention in our click-driven world, major news outlets cherry-pick sensational stories and dramatize their headlines. This tactic has blown countless news stories out of proportion — but COVID-19 isn’t one of them.

I’ll admit that I was skeptical at first too. Like many Rice students, the practice of critically evaluating sources has been drilled into my head. I try not to take what I read and watch at face value. So in January, when headlines about coronavirus became a mainstay on trusted news sources like The New York Times, it seemed plausible that journalists were giving undue attention to a story they knew would create a stir. Coronavirus certainly had all the elements of a buzzworthy story: It’s equal parts unprecedented, mysterious and dangerous. I thought news organizations might be exaggerating it to boost their ratings. By extension, I figured that coronavirus couldn’t possibly be as dangerous as the media made it sound. After all, is it really that different from the flu?

The staggering influx of new cases coupled with several sobering articles illuminated what I should have known all along: Yes, it is. It was a crucial, if belated, realization that impelled me to take social distancing seriously. As COVID-19 has escalated rapidly in the United States, I sincerely hope that most people have similarly accepted how dire its consequences could be. Yet, I still worry about the pervasiveness of the concerning sentiment — that President Donald Trump himself has propagated — that the mainstream media is exaggerating the extent of COVID-19’s severity.

Simply put, COVID-19 is every bit as dangerous as the media is portraying it to be. Reputable sources are not blowing it out of proportion.

To prove this, let’s look at the data. According to the World Health Organization, 36,571 coronavirus-related deaths had been reported at the time of publication. Over 2,000 of these were in the United States alone. These numbers are expected to surge as hospitals run low on beds, ventilators, masks and other critical supplies. The New York Times reported that every intensive care bed in New York City is expected to be filled within two days, leaving no room for new patients. Although the elderly are at the highest risk, a weekly report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention highlighted that many young, otherwise healthy COVID-19 patients have also been hospitalized.

Rice students cannot afford to be blasé about this. No matter how often the Trump administration downplays the crisis, we must believe the statistics and the sources that report them. Only then will we understand why social distancing saves lives and why we must adhere to it strictly. We have already lost too much time to speculate that the media is trying to capitalize off of the pandemic. In fact, there is evidence that the media is dedicated to providing accessible information: Most major news outlets, including The Washington Post and The New York Times, have removed their paywalls for coronavirus-related coverage. For the sake of public safety, we must have faith in the information the media is relaying about COVID-19 and its grave consequences.

By extension, we must heed experts’ advice to slow the viral spread. The CDC recommends that everyone — including those who are asymptomatic, young and have no underlying health conditions — practice social distancing. Stay home as much as you can. Even if the place you live still allows public gatherings and dine-in restaurants (and indeed, an alarming number of U.S. states do), don’t go unless necessary. If you live in a county such as Harris County that has implemented a stay-at-home order, where only essential businesses remain open, it is your obligation to comply. You can even take it a step further. Rather than frequenting the grocery store, consider buying all the food you’ll need for the week in one trip. If you’re hoping to exercise at a park that turns out to be crowded, find another one where you can exercise without being within six feet of anyone else. Do it for yourself, do it for those who are most vulnerable and do it for the healthcare workers who are compromising their own safety to treat others.

It is, of course, always good practice to consume news with a critical eye. But as we collectively try to mitigate the effects of a global pandemic, it is imperative that we trust that news organizations are not exaggerating the magnitude of this crisis. Understanding the severity of COVID-19 and acting accordingly will save lives. Save your skepticism for another story. And please: stay home.

We still need to care about voter suppression in a post-Trump America

Just a couple of months ago, Gov. Greg Abbott declared “election integrity” to be an emergency item for the 2021 Texas legislative session. This was promptly followed by the National Republican Party launching a committee to pursue state election laws, praising Abbott’s initiative. With Senate Bill 7 (SB 7) and its House equivalent (HB 6), in addition to other bills directed at restricting voting access like House Bill 2293, marginalized groups will be further restricted from their right to vote. Shift workers who rely on later voting place hours will be without options. Individuals with disabilities who require vote-by-mail will be burdened with providing proof of their condition. Drive-thru voting will be banned. The role of poll watchers, already infamous for attracting self-appointed vigilantes of voter intimidation, will be able to record voters who receive help filling out their ballots. 

Willy Week no more: Students have the power to distance from William Marsh Rice

This year’s Beer Bike Week looks quite different from years past, even in name. Dean of Undergraduates Bridget Gorman encouraged Beer Bike coordinators to rename Willy Week to reflect the different nature of the event due to COVID restrictions. Individual college Beer Bike coordinators chose a variety of new, college-specific names; many told the Thresher that they were further motivated to change the name to distance their college from William Marsh Rice and that they may carry the name change into future years. Coordinators’ swift renaming of Willy Week reminds us that students have a lot of power at this university — and that we can and should use it to foster a Rice community that we’re proud of.

Student Association committees deserve more from students

Rice students don’t pay attention to the Student Association. This is clear from recent Thresher coverage on the low voter turnout during the SA election and students’ inability to identify the people they “elected” to the executive team. If it weren’t for current SA President Kendall Vining’s encouragement to apply for Academics Committee chair last year, I would have fallen into that category too. I learned that although the SA is designed to represent and empower all student voices regardless of whether they hold a formal SA position in order to better our campus and broader Houston community, it struggles with apathy (or worse, alienation) and a lack of participation.