Sunday, October 24, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Biggest snubs in the Oscars 2020 nominations as relayed by a bitter old hag

uncut-gems-netflix-release-date-courtesy-a24
Courtesy A24 Pictures

By Anna Ta     2/4/20 10:07pm

I’m not sure why we still care about an awards ceremony that continues to be #sowhite and once gave “Lord of the Rings” 11 Oscars (the same number of nominations that “Joker” somehow received this year) — but here we are! As “Green Book” taught me last year with its unexpected win for Best Picture, there’s no point in trying to predict this year’s big winners ahead of the ceremony, which will air this Sunday, Feb. 9 at 7 p.m. So, I’ll settle for pointing out the most painful snubs instead.

DIRECTING

Women. 

This is my most widely recognized and readily accepted take for a reason: Women were directing some of the year’s most compelling, original and poignant films. Greta Gerwig accomplished the nearly unheard of feat of successfully adapting a beloved classic, “Little Women,” Lulu Wang wrote and directed “The Farewell,” a heartbreaker warmed by the softness of stifled grief and Olivia Wilde flipped the script of the raunchy high-school-carpe-diem genre with “Booksmart.” That’s not even mentioning the less mainstream critically acclaimed works of Alma Har’el (“Honey Boy”), Lorene Scafaria (“Hustlers”) and Celine Sciamma (“Portrait of a Lady on Fire”). In a year of masterpieces directed by Martin Scorsese and Bong Joon Ho, I understand women not sweeping the category. But getting completely shut out? Unconscionable. (But god forbid we miss out on giving “The Joker” another nom!)

Courtesy A24 Pictures

ACTING

Awkwafina in “The Farewell”

Adam Sandler in “Uncut Gems”

I know. Listen, I didn’t expect to hear “Awkwafina and Adam Sandler” in a sentence together in my lifetime, nor did I expect to have it followed by “deserved best acting nominations,” but here I am, personally sending hate mail to each and every member of the Academy for snubbing some of the most brilliant performances of the year. Just kidding, of course hate mail is not okay (and the Thresher gets enough of it for me to make that joke). 

Everything you hate about the stereotypical Adam Sandler role of him schlepping around, being a garbage husband and general incompetent sleaze is weaponized in this anxiety-ridden rollercoaster directed by the Safdie brothers in a ingenious display of Sandler’s true talent. In “Uncut Gems,” Sandler plays Howard Ratner, a high stakes gambling addict who is just as sleazy and still a horrible husband, but this time he’s not doing it for laughs — in fact Ratner doesn’t care if you hate him, because you’re still going to root for him. Beyond just starring in the most tightly-wound and even more tightly-directed film I’ve ever seen, Sandler elevates it, ramping up the tension and energy in every shot.

On the other end of the emotional spectrum, Awkwafina plays the grieving granddaughter who can’t let her pain show because her dying grandmother doesn’t know that she’s dying. Awkwafina’s raw performance is so resonant because her muted sorrow and guilt is brightened by the pops of comedy and joy that Awkwafina is already known for genuinely bringing to the table. While she’s been the center of controversy for her appropriation of AAVE as a rapper and only recently made the foray into acting, I was surprised to not see her on the Academy’s shortlist. Maybe she would’ve had better luck if she’d stuck with her Crazy Rich Asians wig - the golden locks may have better appealed to the Academy’s apparent affinity for blondes.

Courtesy A24 Pictures

CINEMATOGRAPHY

“Last Black Man in San Francisco”

In one of the most memorable opening sequences this year, “The Last Black Man in San Francisco” underlines and buoys a love letter to one of America’s most unequal and unforgiving cities with a gorgeous original score, soaring it above and sending it careening down the hills of the Bay Area. As the main character, Jimmie Fails, pours love into his long-lost family home, the film also pours love into every shot, with thoughtfulness and attention to the color and light filling each frame. “Last Black Man in San Francisco” did well in earlier awards shows, getting nods and wins for directing, screenplay and acting, but I don’t think it gets nearly enough attention for the imagination of its beauty.

MOVIES THAT JUST GOT ??? NOTHING ????

“The Farewell,” “Us,” “Midsommar,” “Booksmart,” “Last Black Man in San Francisco,” “Uncut Gems,” “Hustlers”

In a year of finely-tuned, lovable films with performances that alternatively warmed and slashed through my heart, finding out that these films didn’t garner any Oscars nominations was not entirely surprising but thoroughly disappointing. With films so gorgeous and thoughtful created by and about people of color and women this year, I find it more and more difficult to understand how the Oscars can continue to be #sowhite and so male. I can always hope for next year, but until then… Lulu Wang, if you’re reading this and would like to hang out, I’m free on Thursday night and would like to hang out please respond to this and hang out with me on Thursday night when I am free.

Spice it Up: Fall Playlist

Now that fall and the return of autumn seasonal drinks have finally rolled around, it is time to (pumpkin) spice up our playlists. Whether you use Spotify or Apple Music (and, yes, there is a correct answer), here are some good options to add to your queue. This playlist offers plenty of different genres and languages, ranging from Funk to Bossa Nova and from Korean to Hebrew that you may not have heard before. 

Dining on a budget near campus

By this point in the semester, it’s understandable to begin lacking emotional excitement for servery food. We’ve all had our fair share of grilled chicken, caesar salads and fries, which have become somewhat repetitive for the palate. Luckily, Houston is a culinary extravaganza for lovers of all cuisines. If you’re looking for new, fresh bites, take a look at four affordable restaurants close to campus for your next meal.

Review: FINNEAS’s pervasive hopefulness and emotional songwriting shine in ‘Optimist’

“Optimist” expands upon FINNEAS’s melancholy songwriting and production skills to create a compelling and interesting debut album. FINNEAS is largely known for collaborations with his sister, Billie Eilish, who he produces and co-writes songs with. However, he also previously released an excellent EP, “Blood Harmony,” and an array of singles. FINNEAS’s first full-length album continues the lyricism seen in previous stand-out tracks like “I Lost a Friend” and “I Don’t Miss You at All,” albeit with a slightly different feeling reminiscent of Billie’s more introspective “Happier Than Ever.”