Monday, November 18, 2019 — Houston, TX 54°

Women's basketball defeats Nicholls State in season opener

By Derrick Kagwanja     11/8/19 10:17pm

Sophomore guard Haylee Swayze had a coming out party for Rice women’s basketball during the Owls’ 71-47 home opening win against Nicholls State University. Swayze excelled off the bench, scoring 22 points in only 17 minutes of play. She was a perfect four for four from the free throw line, and made four threes on a 57 percent shooting clip. 

Swayze said she attributes her success to the team’s strong play. 

“I felt good, just had a good game,” Swayze said. “We played well together as a team, we have really embraced the mantra of ‘go together’ this year. We were seeing the passes and thinking ahead.”

Once Rice got out to an early lead over NSU, the Owls held and extended it with variations of on-court lineups — each Rice player saw action at some point against the Lady Colonels. Head coach Tina Langley said she is pleased about the team’s performance against Nicholls.

“It was good to get the season started,” Langley said. “We have played against ourselves a good bit and against our scout team. To go against some live competition was good for our team and we were able to see some good things tonight and I think there are other areas that we will grow into quickly.”

Langley said she was impressed with the new players’ performance against Nicholls State.

“I just liked their aggressiveness,” Langley said. “They come out there ready to compete.I think that they’ve been working really hard and they’ve improved a lot. They’re learning a lot fast.”

Langley made the decision to start freshman forward Lauren Schwartz, who finished with 11 points in her Rice debut. Langley said she is happy with her decision to start Schwartz.

“I liked her toughness and the way she gelled with the team,” Langley said. “We were trying to put a lineup out there that plays well together to start the game. I think it’s a good fit for the way we start.” 

Rice will move on to face the University of Arkansas, Little Rock Trojans at Tudor Fieldhouse on Saturday, Nov. 9 at 1:00 p.m. The Owls will soon face No. 6 Texas A&M University at home in two weeks. The Aggies are a formidable opponent, as they lost in the round of 16 in the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball tournament last year. 

Women’s club soccer set for trip to nationals

Rice women’s club soccer will travel to compete in the Championship Division of the women’s club soccer national tournament from Nov. 21 - 23 in Round Rock, Texas. The Owls qualified for the national tournament by placing first in the Texas Club Soccer League Southeast League and claiming the Region IV South tournament title. During the regular season, the team finished undefeated.

Three takeaways from volleyball’s loss to WKU

Rice volleyball lost on Sunday to Western Kentucky University, marking the Owls’ first loss in almost two months. Though the match ended on a sour note, it was a closely fought contest, with Rice battling back from an early deficit to force a decisive and dramatic fifth set that featured tense moments on nearly every point. Here are three notable takeaways from the match.

Swimming falls to Texas A&M

No. 12 Texas A&M University defeated Rice in swimming 158-102 on Saturday at the Owls’ first home dual meet of the year.  The loss was Rice’s first  of the season, dropping the team’s record to 3-1.