Monday, September 26, 2022 — Houston, TX

Three takeaways from volleyball’s loss to WKU

michael_byrnes

By Michael Byrnes     11/12/19 9:48pm

Rice volleyball lost on Sunday to Western Kentucky University, marking the Owls’ first loss in almost two months. Though the match ended on a sour note, it was a closely fought contest, with Rice battling back from an early deficit to force a decisive and dramatic fifth set that featured tense moments on nearly every point. Here are three notable takeaways from the match.

1. Rice was rusty early on 

The Owls came out of the gates a step slow against a very good Western Kentucky team. Since beating the No. 3-ranked University of Texas on Sept. 18, Rice’s opponents have averaged a current RPI ranking of No. 160, with none of the teams currently ranked in the top 75 nationwide. With all due respect to the rest of Conference USA (save WKU), Rice is clearly a class above its recent competition. None of Rice’s recent matchups provided the Owls much of a challenge; prior to Sunday’s game, Rice had dropped just one set in its 11 conference matches. 

Western Kentucky, currently ranked No. 22, was an entirely different beast. In the first two sets, Rice struggled to dig powerful attacks from the Hilltoppers’ outside hitters, and the Owls’ back row consistently fell victim to WKU dumping the ball just over the reach of the Rice middle blockers. The Owls’ setters also didn’t perform up to their usual standards in the first half of the match, with several wayward sets compromising promising opportunities. Against other conference opponents, Rice probably would have gotten away with these mistakes. But Western Kentucky punished the Owls for their slow start. 

2. The Owls hit their stride in the third set

Rice came out of the halftime break with noticeably improved energy. Though this was the first time all year that the Owls had gone down 2-0, you wouldn’t have known that the team wasn’t used to playing from behind by watching the game. Rice was collected, composed and completely in control in both the third and fourth sets. The team’s digging — a sore point in the first half — was excellent. Senior libero Lee Ann Cunningham and junior outside hitter Nicole Lennon led the Owls’ defensive stand, helping limit WKU to a paltry 0.181 hitting percentage, and Rice fought back with a potent offensive attack to nearly double the Hilltoppers’ hitting percentage. Until the tide changed again in the fifth set, the Owls looked for all the world like they were on their way to a comeback victory. 

3. The loss really didn’t hurt Rice too much

Despite the loss, Rice’s RPI ranking rose two spots to No. 15: a reflection of WKU’s legitimacy as a formidable opponent. Though the defeat still stings, a 16-14 fifth-set loss against a top-25 opponent isn’t too much of an indictment against the Owls’ NCAA tournament hopes. Beyond that, Rice gained valuable experience competing against Western Kentucky, who they’ll almost certainly face again in the upcoming C-USA Tournament, and hopefully the confidence to know that they can rally from an early deficit even against strong competition. And playing an opponent that can actually compete against them was a necessary eye-opener for an Owls team hoping to make a deep tournament run against top-notch programs. Rice won’t always dominate like they’re accustomed to, but in the loss to WKU the Owls showed they have the grit and tenacity to fight back even when things aren’t going their way.

50 years later, Rice’s first Black student-athletes reflect on their impact

Stahlé Vincent came back to Rice over the weekend. But this time, he got a different reception than he did when he first set foot on campus over five decades ago. “[When I first got here] there was not an open-arm reception,” Vincient said. “There were people who never spoke [to me], people avoided me, I had professors who wouldn’t call my name at roll. There was an animus there that you could feel.”

After 350 wins, Volpe still isn’t thinking about her legacy

During her 19-year tenure, Rice volleyball head coach Genny Volpe has led the Owls to seven NCAA tournaments, two conference championships, 14 winning seasons and, as of Aug. 26’s victory over the University of Houston, 350 wins. With the Owls back in the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s top 25 as of Monday, those numbers seem poised to keep improving. This is a flooring amount of success for a program that had never even been to the tournament until Volpe was hired, but she is far from willing to take sole credit. 

Volleyball upsets No. 17 Creighton, jumps into top-25

On Sunday, a flock of birds rose victorious above Tudor fieldhouse and it wasn’t a band of blue jays. After five intense sets, the Owls team took down No. 17 Creighton University on a second match point, capping off a tournament which started off with a reverse sweep of Big 12 opponent Kansas State University. After missing out on the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s Top 25 last week by one spot, the defining weekend was enough to jump the Rice volleyball team to No. 23 on the rankings.