Thursday, May 06, 2021 — Houston, TX 81°

Tudor After Dark cancelled following technical difficulties

yifei-zhang-tudor-after-dark
Illustrated by Yifei Zhang

By Eric Barber     10/8/19 9:59pm

Rice Athletics has canceled Tudor After Dark, an event that was intended to build up anticipation for the upcoming basketball season through a night of festivities introducing this year’s men’s and women’s basketball teams. 

The event, which was originally advertised on Facebook to be on Oct. 19, was canceled by Rice Athletics due to issues with sound system installation, according to Kevin Richardson. 

“We want this event to be spectacular and cannot ensure that it will be up to par throughout country standards,” Richardson, Rice’s brand advancement and revenue generation specialist, said. “There are just a few technical roadblocks that would be underwhelming in comparison to expectations. We will be having this event in the future but feel its best to no longer do this year.”

Richardson later said that the technical difficulties have been solved as of Wednesday.

“The current system is still functioning and continues to be operational as the transition is underway to install the brand new sound system inside Autry Court,” he said.

For years, top basketball programs across the country have hosted similar preseason events. The events have become colloquially known as Midnight Madness, as coined by the former University of Maryland head coach Lefty Driesell in the 1970s. Today, each program has its own name for their preseason event such as Duke University’s Countdown to Craziness, the University of Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness and the University of Kansas’ Late Night in the Phog. 

A Sept. 25 Facebook post by Rice Athletics said that there would be a $1,000 giveaway at the event.

“Things just went to another level,” the post read.

The original Facebook event for Tudor After Dark has been deleted.

[10/09/2019 10:37 a.m.] This article has been updated to reflect that the sound system now works.

Soccer upsets No. 5 WVU in NCAA tournament, advance to round of 16

No. 25 Rice soccer upset No. 5 West Virginia University 1-0 on Saturday afternoon, moving on to the third round of the NCAA tournament in Cary, North Carolina next week. While the Mountaineers controlled possession for most of the game, the Owls managed to squeeze out a narrow victory behind a penalty shot in the 74th minute and lockdown defense throughout the game. In the round of 16, the Owls will play the No. 12 University of Virginia. After the match, head coach Brian Lee lauded his team’s effort in pulling off the upset.

Soccer defeats Furman in first round of NCAA tournament

Rice soccer defeated Furman University 3-1 on Wednesday afternoon in the first round of the NCAA tournament in Cary, North Carolina. The Owls will now advance to the second round, where they will face off against No. 5 West Virginia University on Saturday. Head coach Brian Lee was proud of his team’s complete performance in the opening round matchup.

Baseball splits weekend series with UTSA

This past weekend, the Rice baseball team faced off against conference rivals University of Texas, San Antonio in a four-game series. After winning the first two games of the series, the Owls lost the final two matchups against the Roadrunners. With more than half of the season completed, the Owls have amassed an overall record of 17-23-1 (5-14-1).