Monday, November 18, 2019 — Houston, TX 54°

Football stumbles against LA Tech

la-tech

Courtesy David Elder

By Madison Buzzard     9/29/19 1:01pm

Rice football fell short against Louisiana Tech University in overtime, 23-20, on Saturday night at Rice Stadium in the team’s first game against a Conference USA opponent. The Owls currently have zero wins and five losses on the season.

Redshirt freshman Wiley Green started at quarterback for the first time since suffering a concussion in the Owls’ second game of the season against Wake Forest University. Against the Bulldogs, Green completed 14 of 22 passes for 128 yards and did not throw an interception.

But early in the game, Rice head coach Mike Bloomgren elected to call many running plays. Graduate student running back Aston Walter received a steady dose of carries during Rice’s first offensive drive and capped the possession with a 16-yard touchdown run to put the Owls up 7-0.

Louisiana Tech responded with a touchdown pass from quarterback J’Mar Smith to Adrian Hardy which tied the game at 7-7. Yet, when Rice retained the ball, Walter continued to gain yards on the ground. Less than two minutes into the second quarter, he plunged through the Owls’ offensive line to score a two-yard touchdown which put Rice in front, 14-7. Walter finished the day with 112 yards and two touchdowns.

When Rice’s defense prevented the Bulldogs from tying the game, Bloomgren opted to insert graduate student Tom Stewart at quarterback. During Stewart’s first drive, Rice went three-and-out. On Stewart’s second drive, the Owls were in scoring position with an opportunity to stretch their lead. But when Rice held the ball on Louisiana Tech’s five-yard line, Stewart threw an interception in the end zone. At half-time, the game remained 14-7.

Rice won the pregame coin toss and deferred to receive the ball to begin the second half. With Green back under center, and graduate student running back Charlie Booker earning yards on the ground, the Owls moved into scoring position once more. But redshirt sophomore Will Harrison missed a 36 yard field goal and was removed from kicking duties for the remainder of the game.

On defense, Rice remained strong and pressured Smith effectively. In total, the Owls sacked Smith three times — an output which matched Rice’s sack numbers in the team’s first four games, combined. Nonetheless, at the end of the third quarter, Louisiana Tech running back Justin Henderson ran in for a 26-yard touchdown to tie the game, 14-14.

Late in the fourth quarter, the Owls and Bulldogs traded field goals. Each team then had a last minute opportunity to win the game but neither offense moved into scoring position. Hence, the game went into overtime.

Louisiana Tech won the overtime coin toss and chose to defend first. Rice managed to score a field goal on its possession from the foot of senior Chris Barnes, who is on the roster as a punter. But when the Bulldogs took over, Smith sealed their victory with a 12-yard touchdown run.

Women’s club soccer set for trip to nationals

Rice women’s club soccer will travel to compete in the Championship Division of the women’s club soccer national tournament from Nov. 21 - 23 in Round Rock, Texas. The Owls qualified for the national tournament by placing first in the Texas Club Soccer League Southeast League and claiming the Region IV South tournament title. During the regular season, the team finished undefeated.

Three takeaways from volleyball’s loss to WKU

Rice volleyball lost on Sunday to Western Kentucky University, marking the Owls’ first loss in almost two months. Though the match ended on a sour note, it was a closely fought contest, with Rice battling back from an early deficit to force a decisive and dramatic fifth set that featured tense moments on nearly every point. Here are three notable takeaways from the match.

Swimming falls to Texas A&M

No. 12 Texas A&M University defeated Rice in swimming 158-102 on Saturday at the Owls’ first home dual meet of the year.  The loss was Rice’s first  of the season, dropping the team’s record to 3-1.