Monday, August 15, 2022 — Houston, TX

Catch up on summer screams this Friday the 13th

it-courtesy-warner-bros
Courtesy Warner Bros

By Katelyn Landry     9/10/19 10:22pm

There hasn’t been a Friday the 13th since July 2018, and with Halloween rapidly approaching, there’s no better time to get your spook on than this weekend. Curl up under the covers and catch up on the biggest horror flicks you missed over the summer. 

Child’s Play

Originally released in 1988, “Child’s Play” chronicles the bloody murder spree of Chucky, who needs no introduction at this point. With Mark Hamill (“Star Wars”) and Aubrey Plaza (“Parks and Recreation”) at its helm, this movie gives the psychotic doll saga a modern makeover. “Child’s Play” is available to stream on Amazon Prime Video.

Annabelle Comes Home

Although I’ll admit that the haunted doll trope is getting old, I’m a sucker for the “Conjuring” universe and its rotating cast of merciless, demonic parasites. In this third installment of the Annabelle prequel series, the possessed porcelain doll retaliates against paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren by tormenting their young daughter Judy and her friends. I mean, what sleepover is complete without manicures, face masks and a good, old-fashioned exorcism? This movie packs a cacophony of jump scares into a short time span; just because the scares are cheap doesn’t mean they’re not fun. 

Midsommar*

Don’t let the sunlight and flowers fool you. This summer, “Hereditary” director Ari Aster delivered yet another terrifying, slow-burning fever dream with “Midsommar.” The film follows Dani (Florence Pugh), whose overwhelming family tragedy is eclipsed by an impromptu trip with her boyfriend and his bros to a mysterious Swedish village in the midst of midsummer festivities. The community’s eclectic traditions steadily escalate into gory sacrificial rites and disturbing occult rituals. The most terrifying parts? Perpetual daylight and toxic masculinity. “Midsommar” is now playing in select local theaters and available to stream on Amazon Prime Video.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark*

When “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” was announced, social media exploded with nostalgia and excitement from those who spent their childhood immersed in the infamous short story collections. The book series, written by Alvin Schwartz and illustrated by Stephen Gammell, made its way into elementary schools —  and children’s nightmares — nationwide, earning the books a spot on the American Library Association’s top ten list of banned or challenged books every year from 2000 to 2009. The hallmark of this movie adaptation is undoubtedly the makeup, costuming and effects that bring Gammell’s disturbing illustrations to life. As far as the story goes, this movie certainly won’t be winning any Oscars, but it’s still a fun watch for horror enthusiasts and novices alike. “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” is now playing in select local theaters. 

IT Chapter 2

The sequel to director Andres Muschietti’s adaptation of Stephen King’s “IT” is one of the most highly anticipated movies this year after “IT” saw raging success in 2017. We meet Pennywise (Bill Skarsgård) again after his 27-year slumber, well-rested and ready to wreak even more havoc and feast on the residents of Derry, Maine. The affectionately dubbed “Losers Club” reunites as adults to face their childhood traumas and defeat Pennywise once and for all. “IT Chapter 2” is now playing in theaters nationwide. 

*Includes my opinion because I’ve seen it