Tuesday, September 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

Men’s tennis peaking near postseason

sumit-sarkar
Courtesy Rice Athletics

By Derrick Kagwanja     4/10/19 3:49pm

Rice men’s tennis went undefeated in three matches this weekend during the Conference USA Showcase at the George R. Brown Tennis Center. The Owls defeated the University of Southern Mississippi 4-1 on Friday morning, bested the University of Alabama, Birmingham 4-0 on Saturday afternoon and finished the showcase with a 4-1 win over University of Texas, San Antonio on Sunday. 

The sweep brings the Owls’ record to 13-11 on the season. Rice entered the weekend with a 1-4 record in its previous five matches. 

During its match against Southern Miss, Rice won two out of three doubles matches. In singles, the Owls claimed victories from sophomore Sumit Sarkar, sophomore Mohamed Abdel-Aziz and freshman Conrad Russell. Abdel-Aziz won his first set in a tiebreaker and coasted to a relatively easy 6-3 win in the second set to win his match in straight sets. According to Abdel-Aziz, encouragement from teammates fueled his play. 

“It definitely was motivating to look to each side and see that everyone was fighting,” Abdel-Aziz said. “I think we lost four first sets out of six matches, so to see everyone fighting back, you don’t want to be the only one that’s not achieving. Of course when they start to support that plays a large role in your motivation because you’re not doing it for yourself, you’re doing it for your team. To clinch [the match], I was very happy with that.”

In Saturday's matchup against UAB, freshman Campbell Salmon earned his second singles victory of the weekend to help the Owls to a 4-0 shutout. According to Salmon, his confidence peaked when he shut out his opponent in the second set. 

“I think all the training that tennis has put in over the past few weeks has been really good work, and we are starting to see the results of that in our matches,” Salmon said. “I think I was playing well with good confidence and was putting into play what I’ve been working on in training.”

After his individual win, Salmon said he quickly focused on cheering on the rest of the Owls.

“As soon as you finish the match, you have to get back out there and support your teammates and get them across the line,” Salmon said.

Finally, in Sunday's matchup against UTSA, Rice freshman Adam Oscislawski dispatched his opponent in straight sets at number six singles as part of a 4-1 Rice win. Oscislawski said he enjoys when his individual maturation garners success for the team. .

“I think I’ve matured very well,” Oscislawski said. I think every day has been better. The whole team has momentum going into the postseason. Everyone has something to play for, and every other person on each team is cheering for each other.” 

Next, the Owls will face Tulane University at home on April 13 before traveling to Murfreesboro, Tennessee to compete in the Conference-USA Championships from April 19 to 21.

50 years later, Rice’s first Black student-athletes reflect on their impact

Stahlé Vincent came back to Rice over the weekend. But this time, he got a different reception than he did when he first set foot on campus over five decades ago. “[When I first got here] there was not an open-arm reception,” Vincient said. “There were people who never spoke [to me], people avoided me, I had professors who wouldn’t call my name at roll. There was an animus there that you could feel.”

After 350 wins, Volpe still isn’t thinking about her legacy

During her 19-year tenure, Rice volleyball head coach Genny Volpe has led the Owls to seven NCAA tournaments, two conference championships, 14 winning seasons and, as of Aug. 26’s victory over the University of Houston, 350 wins. With the Owls back in the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s top 25 as of Monday, those numbers seem poised to keep improving. This is a flooring amount of success for a program that had never even been to the tournament until Volpe was hired, but she is far from willing to take sole credit. 

Volleyball upsets No. 17 Creighton, jumps into top-25

On Sunday, a flock of birds rose victorious above Tudor fieldhouse and it wasn’t a band of blue jays. After five intense sets, the Owls team took down No. 17 Creighton University on a second match point, capping off a tournament which started off with a reverse sweep of Big 12 opponent Kansas State University. After missing out on the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s Top 25 last week by one spot, the defining weekend was enough to jump the Rice volleyball team to No. 23 on the rankings.