Thursday, April 15, 2021 — Houston, TX 68°

Museum of Fine Arts’ ‘Vincent van Gogh: His Life in Art’ immerses viewers

vangogh-photo-by-naomi-wentz
Naomi Wentz/Thresher

By Naomi Wentz     3/19/19 11:36pm

Vincent van Gogh is arguably one of the most iconic artists of the 19th century, although his work wasn’t fully appreciated until after his death. The exhibition at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, which includes over 50 of Van Gogh’s works, presents five periods in his life: The Early Years, Paris, Arles, Saint Rémy and Auvers sur Oise. This showcase not only displays his unique style but also gives the audience insight into his sad, tumultuous life.

The MFAH goes beyond simply presenting Van Gogh’s masterpieces by including recreations and artifacts of his time. When entering the first room of the exhibit, museum-goers are greeted with a wall-sized portrait of the artist himself, evocative of the pencil sketches that composed his earlier works. On every wall, there are sketches of the French countryside where Van Gogh resided. These sketches create a backdrop each of the paintings, bringing life and continuity to his body of work. Visitors are also provided audio guides for the exhibit which supply sounds from periods in his life. When entering the final room of the showcase, audiences are met with a large reproduction of one of Van Gogh’s most notable works, “Wheatfield With Crows,” which was created the same year he died after struggling with epilepsy, mania and depression. This mural provides a poignant ending to the museum’s display, reminding viewers of the Dutch painter’s artistic talent and his tragic death by suicide.

While Van Gogh himself is no longer able to shed light on his personal life, the MFAH exhibit gives viewers insight into his mind by displaying some of the 820 letters he wrote to his younger brother Theo and other artists. Fragments of the correspondences are printed in huge font on the walls, flowing neatly around the works of art. Accompanying one of his first major works, “The Potato Eaters,” is a full length letter that Van Gogh wrote to Theo. In it, Van Gogh explains how he wants to depict the hardships of rural life in “uncompromising realism.” These letters reveal Van Gogh’s motivation behind some of his most recognizable pieces in addition to  shedding light on his struggles as an artist.

Nowhere is more immersive than the MFAH’s companion display, “Van Gogh Up Close.” This exhibit is admittedly more catered to children, with interactive features and a chance to recreate Van Gogh’s famous work, “Sunflowers.” However, “Van Gogh Up Close” provides unique experiences for all museum-goers, recreating his most notable works with physical sets and providing a way for audiences to truly immerse themselves in Van Gogh’s art.

Vincent Van Gogh: His Life in Artgives visitors more than just a chance to view some of the most famous artworks of the 19th century. It provides audiences with a chance to understand the motivation behind some of Van Gogh’s most iconic pieces and his struggle with his mental health.

Vincent Van Gogh: His Life in Art” runs until June 27. Admission is $20 for students with ID.

Review: Taylor Swift reclaims her artistry with re-recorded album “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)”

Fans got their first taste of Taylor Swift’s re-recorded album, “Fearless (Taylor’s Version),” when a snippet of “Love Story” was used in Ryan Reynolds’ Tinder commercial last December. The full album was released on April 9 and includes remastered versions of every song from the platinum edition of Swift’s 2008 album, “Fearless,” along with six unreleased songs “from the vault” that were cut from the original project. The re-release is largely unchanged from the original in terms of her familiar vocals on fan-favorite singles like “You Belong With Me.” Still, the album epitomizes the singer-songwriter’s artistic growth over the past decade and serves as the first step to Swift regaining ownership of her music, making “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)” a worthwhile listen for returning fans and new listeners alike.  

KTRU Outdoor Show brings music, art to campus scene and virtual screens

As the close of the semester approaches, KTRU wants to help end the academic year on a high note. KTRU’s annual Outdoor Show will round out the end of the semester — albeit in a different format than what we have seen in years past. On April 24 from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m., the Rice community will have the chance to gather in the central quad — distanced and masked — for what Katelyn Landry, this year’s organizer for ODS, called a “mini music and art festival.” This year’s show will consist of screenings and livestreams of artists’ pre-recorded sets, an art installation, Houston food trucks on sight and an opportunity for the Rice community to connect with each other through music and art whether in-person or virtually.