Monday, September 26, 2022 — Houston, TX

Men’s tennis continues slide with winless weekend

mens-tennis-steaphany-marchany
Courtesy Stephany Marchany

By Spencer Moffat     3/26/19 10:22pm

The Rice men’s tennis team fell to Utah State University 4-2 on Sunday night to finish a winless weekend at the 61st Ralph O’Connor Rice Invitational. The loss dropped the Owls to 9-11 on the season and extended their losing streak to four matches. The Owls’ last win was against Southern Methodist University, on March 10. 

Rice started off the weekend on a high note against Texas Tech University, with a 6-3 victory in doubles by sophomore Mohamed Abdel-Aziz and freshman Karol Paluch. 

However, the Red Raiders picked up a 6-3 win on court two against Rice sophomores Jakob Eskeland and Conrad Russell to tie the doubles point. On court one, Rice’s doubles pair of junior Eric Rutledge and sophomore Sumit Sarkar, currently ranked No. 39 in the nation, found themselves tied 5-5 against Texas Tech’s No. 7-ranked duo of Bjorn Thomson and Parker Wynn. Texas Tech broke to serve for the match, but Rice responded by forcing a tiebreaker. 

With the doubles point on the line, Rutledge and Sarkar sprinted to a 6-1 lead and had two serves to clinch the match. But the Owls’ advantage evaporated after Thomson and Wynn won six straight points. Rutledge and Sarkar fought off four match points before eventually falling 12-10 to lose the match and the doubles point. 

Head coach Efe Ustundag said he was impressed with the doubles pair maintaining its energy in the tiebreaker.

“We really kept it up throughout the tiebreak and put ourselves in a situation where we [could win],” Ustundag said.

The Owls could not close the deficit in singles play. Sarkar won his fourth straight match with a straight-set win to improve his record to 11-4, but Texas Tech earned singles wins at courts two, four and five to close out the match. Thus, Rutledge and freshman Adam Oscislawski did not finish their matches. 

After the match, Ustundag said pride and perseverance would be necessary for Rice to level its invitational record. 

“It has to be about desire and not wanting to quit,” Ustundag said.

The Owls’ first opportunity to rebound was on Sunday in a match against Dartmouth College. Dartmouth entered the match with a 2-0 record on the weekend. 

Rice pushed the pace early by winning four of its six first singles sets. However, the Big Green responded by winning the second set in three of those four matches, and eventually defeated the Owls in two of them. 

In singles play, Dartmouth won the first two completed matches with victories against Abdel-Aziz and Oscislawski. Rice picked up a win when Sarkar claimed his third consecutive victory over a ranked opponent by defeating Dartmouth’s No. 34-ranked Charlie Broom (6-4, 7-6). But the Big Green still secured the team victory to clinch the Rice Invitational title. 

The Owls responded to Sunday morning’s loss by winning the doubles point against Utah State to open the match. Sarkar and Oscislawski won their doubles match 6-0, and the doubles pair of Abdel-Aziz and Paluch followed by claiming their match 6-3. 

In singles play, the Owls split the opening sets of the six matches. However, the Aggies responded by winning five of the six second sets to take a 3-2 lead and send two matches to a deciding third set. The Aggies closed out the Owls with a win on court four to earn a 4-2 victory over Rice.

The Owls are next in action on Saturday, March 30 when they travel to Beaumont to take on Lamar University.

50 years later, Rice’s first Black student-athletes reflect on their impact

Stahlé Vincent came back to Rice over the weekend. But this time, he got a different reception than he did when he first set foot on campus over five decades ago. “[When I first got here] there was not an open-arm reception,” Vincient said. “There were people who never spoke [to me], people avoided me, I had professors who wouldn’t call my name at roll. There was an animus there that you could feel.”

After 350 wins, Volpe still isn’t thinking about her legacy

During her 19-year tenure, Rice volleyball head coach Genny Volpe has led the Owls to seven NCAA tournaments, two conference championships, 14 winning seasons and, as of Aug. 26’s victory over the University of Houston, 350 wins. With the Owls back in the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s top 25 as of Monday, those numbers seem poised to keep improving. This is a flooring amount of success for a program that had never even been to the tournament until Volpe was hired, but she is far from willing to take sole credit. 

Volleyball upsets No. 17 Creighton, jumps into top-25

On Sunday, a flock of birds rose victorious above Tudor fieldhouse and it wasn’t a band of blue jays. After five intense sets, the Owls team took down No. 17 Creighton University on a second match point, capping off a tournament which started off with a reverse sweep of Big 12 opponent Kansas State University. After missing out on the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s Top 25 last week by one spot, the defining weekend was enough to jump the Rice volleyball team to No. 23 on the rankings.