Tuesday, September 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

Men’s basketball finishes season with loss

mens-basketball

By Joshua Anil     3/19/19 10:34pm

Rice men’s basketball’s season ended in an 82-65 first round loss to Marshall University in the Conference USA tournament held in Frisco. The Owls finished the season with a record of 13-19.

The tournament appearance was the first of head coach Scott Pera’s tenure, as the team failed to qualify for the C-USA postseason during the 2017-2018 season.

The No. 11-seeded Owls came into the tournament off a 3-1 end-of-season stretch that allowed them to clinch a postseason berth. They had defeated No. 6 seed Marshall 74-69 in their previous regular season meeting at Tudor Fieldhouse.

Rice’s second battle against the Thundering Herd played out much differently from their regular season meeting. The Owls didn’t score until five minutes into the first half, by which time Marshall had already built a nine-point cushion. Marshall never trailed at any point in the game, and its lead ballooned to 32 points in the second half.

Marshall’s quick start and 53.6 percent field goal percentage proved too much for the Owls to overcome. According to Pera, the Owls’ slow start put them in a very difficult situation. 

“One of our biggest fears coming into tonight was the start of the game: trying to break their rhythm and not let them get comfortable, and they came out really clicking and kinda hit us between the eyes early, and it makes the hole hard to dig back out of,” Pera said. “They deserve to win the game, they played better.”     

Throughout the season, Rice’s opponents averaged 34.5 percent shooting from 3-point range, but Marshall was able to sink 13 3-pointers. Marshall senior Jon Elmore, the all-time C-USA leader in points and assists, led his team in scoring, putting up 32 points on 10-for-13 shooting and making six of his nine shots from distance.

“Elmore’s really good,” Pera said. “You know, the guy is a tremendous player ... He certainly got in rhythm. He was feeling good. It didn’t matter what we did, some of those were challenged pretty hard, and he still shot with confidence.”

Junior Robert Martin, the Owls’ leading scorer this season, said Rice’s defensive breakdowns against Marshall, the defending C-USA Tournament champions, were attributable to inexperience.

“Our biggest challenge was our lack of experience and their extra experience,” Martin said. “[Marshall has] two seniors, both of them are their leading scorers. They’ve been here before. They won last year. We really only have one guy who had had postseason experience because we weren’t here last year … but I think we learned a lot from today, and we will be a better team next year when we are in this position.”

Despite its first-round exit, Rice won six more games and twice as many contests against C-USA opponents than last year’s 7-24 team. Throughout the season, the Owls played several close games against some of the top conference teams: Rice lost to eventual C-USA champion Old Dominion University by only four points and defeated Southern Mississippi University, the conference’s No. 3 team, by eight points. Though the Owls were below .500 in conference play, Rice was competitive, leading or within a point in the second half of six of their ten C-USA losses.

Five freshmen players appeared in at least 30 games for the Owls, and Chris Mullins was named to the C-USA All-Freshman Team after averaging 12.0 points per game. Pera said even after acknowledging the difficulties of the season, he remains encouraged by the growth he witnessed in his players.

“Our schedule was hard,” Pera said.  “I saw a ton of growth, a lot of good ball, some very tough and frustrating losses … So, it’s been a fun season; it’s been a rollercoaster when you have five freshmen playing that many minutes, but hopefully will bode us well for the future.”

50 years later, Rice’s first Black student-athletes reflect on their impact

Stahlé Vincent came back to Rice over the weekend. But this time, he got a different reception than he did when he first set foot on campus over five decades ago. “[When I first got here] there was not an open-arm reception,” Vincient said. “There were people who never spoke [to me], people avoided me, I had professors who wouldn’t call my name at roll. There was an animus there that you could feel.”

After 350 wins, Volpe still isn’t thinking about her legacy

During her 19-year tenure, Rice volleyball head coach Genny Volpe has led the Owls to seven NCAA tournaments, two conference championships, 14 winning seasons and, as of Aug. 26’s victory over the University of Houston, 350 wins. With the Owls back in the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s top 25 as of Monday, those numbers seem poised to keep improving. This is a flooring amount of success for a program that had never even been to the tournament until Volpe was hired, but she is far from willing to take sole credit. 

Volleyball upsets No. 17 Creighton, jumps into top-25

On Sunday, a flock of birds rose victorious above Tudor fieldhouse and it wasn’t a band of blue jays. After five intense sets, the Owls team took down No. 17 Creighton University on a second match point, capping off a tournament which started off with a reverse sweep of Big 12 opponent Kansas State University. After missing out on the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s Top 25 last week by one spot, the defining weekend was enough to jump the Rice volleyball team to No. 23 on the rankings.