Tuesday, September 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

Baseball snaps 7-game losing streak

baseball-sirui-zhou
Photo by Sirui Zhou | The Rice Thresher

Sirui Zhou/Thresher

By Madison Buzzard     3/26/19 10:16pm

Rice baseball dropped two out of three games to the University of Texas, San Antonio in its first home conference series of the year, falling to 9-17 on the season and 1-5 in Conference USA play.

Through 23 games, Rice baseball’s 2019 team was a spitting image of the 2018 team. Only one win differentiated its record between this year and last year. Both teams had recently lost to a ranked Texas A&M University squad. Both teams were set to begin their first home C-USA series. And both teams were about to entrust Matt Canterino to make a pivotal start on the mound.

Last season, as a sophomore, Canterino carried a no-hitter into the eighth inning against Western Kentucky University to help Rice earn a 4-0 win.

But against UTSA on Friday, Canterino, now a junior, couldn’t recreate his magic. He pitched a shutout through six innings, but Roadrunners ace Karan Patel matched him stride-for-stride. When Canterino’s shield cracked in the seventh inning, UTSA pounced, tallying three runs from two triples, a sacrifice bunt and a wild pitch.

Rice fought back immediately. Sophomore catcher Justin Collins doubled home senior left fielder Andrew Dunlap and junior second baseman Cade Edwards ripped a triple down the left field line to score Collins. But junior designated hitter Rodrigo Duluc swung over a two-strike breaking ball with two outs and UTSA maintained its 3-2 lead.

When the Owls were unable to muster any more runs in the 4-2 defeat, Canterino was tagged with his fourth loss of the season. Canterino has only one win this year despite being ranked No. 39 nationally in walks and hits per inning pitched.

Rice head coach Matt Bragga said if his team could have produced more timely hitting, it would have won the series opener.

“It’s one of those things where we are not getting the big hits, the clutch hits, so to say,” Bragga said. “Even with zero or one outs and with runners in scoring position, we have been leaving them out there.”

Saturday’s game was not quite a pitcher’s duel. UTSA scored in the first inning on a wild pitch by Owls senior Jackson Parthasarthy and added three more runs in the second. Parthasarthy was then replaced by sophomore Addison Moss, but UTSA scored four runs on him, too. By the time Dunlap launched his team-leading sixth home run for Rice in the bottom of the fourth, the Owls were already seven runs down. In the end, Rice fell 9-3.

According to Bragga, Rice’s top-shelf pitchers need to get deeper into games. 

“We are a team that needs to be built around our starting pitching,” Bragga said. “If they do well, it gives us an opportunity. If they don’t, we’re not as good. When you have good starters and a good bullpen and you’re offensively sound and defensively sound, consistency happens.”

Bragga said one positive from Saturday’s loss was the 18-inning stretch of error-free baseball — the first of its kind for Rice this season.

“If you go back and look at numbers for all the games ... there is a considerable difference in our fielding percentage,” Bragga said. “It was something that needed to be addressed heavily, and we have addressed it heavily. By no means is it perfect. But it has improved and it will continue to improve.”

Still, the loss mired Rice in a seven-game losing streak, the program’s longest since 2017. With Wayne Graham at the helm, the Owls never lost eight in a row. According to Bragga, the series finale was a critical litmus test for Rice’s season.

“[It’s] about as much of a must-win as it could be six games into the conference season,” Bragga said.

Senior Evan Kravetz took the mound for Sunday’s game, pitching 4.1 innings and allowing three runs before being replaced by senior Kendal Jefferies. In the bottom of the third inning, Rice tallied its first three-run frame of the weekend. Edwards broke the tie in the fifth inning with an RBI single. In the sixth, junior Braden Comeaux drew a bases-loaded walk to bring home another run.

Rice went up 8-3 when it tallied three runs in the seventh inning. But after Jefferies let in  two runs in the eighth inning, Bragga made the switch to junior Garrett Gayle. With his first save opportunity of the season, Gayle delivered and the Owls won 8-6.

Bragga said he enjoyed watching his players deliver when it mattered most.

“Our guys needed a win,” Bragga said. “We all did. Even I needed a win as a coach. When you lose seven in a row, anytime you can break that and get a win, it’s a good [feeling]. I am proud of our guys.”

The Owls’ Tuesday night game against Texas State University was ongoing at time of print. 

50 years later, Rice’s first Black student-athletes reflect on their impact

Stahlé Vincent came back to Rice over the weekend. But this time, he got a different reception than he did when he first set foot on campus over five decades ago. “[When I first got here] there was not an open-arm reception,” Vincient said. “There were people who never spoke [to me], people avoided me, I had professors who wouldn’t call my name at roll. There was an animus there that you could feel.”

After 350 wins, Volpe still isn’t thinking about her legacy

During her 19-year tenure, Rice volleyball head coach Genny Volpe has led the Owls to seven NCAA tournaments, two conference championships, 14 winning seasons and, as of Aug. 26’s victory over the University of Houston, 350 wins. With the Owls back in the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s top 25 as of Monday, those numbers seem poised to keep improving. This is a flooring amount of success for a program that had never even been to the tournament until Volpe was hired, but she is far from willing to take sole credit. 

Volleyball upsets No. 17 Creighton, jumps into top-25

On Sunday, a flock of birds rose victorious above Tudor fieldhouse and it wasn’t a band of blue jays. After five intense sets, the Owls team took down No. 17 Creighton University on a second match point, capping off a tournament which started off with a reverse sweep of Big 12 opponent Kansas State University. After missing out on the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s Top 25 last week by one spot, the defining weekend was enough to jump the Rice volleyball team to No. 23 on the rankings.