Monday, September 26, 2022 — Houston, TX

Women’s tennis takes down UTA, falls to Texas

tennis-olivia-daneker
Courtesy Olivia Daneker

By Spencer Moffat     2/26/19 10:23pm

Rice women’s tennis had an up-and-down week, taking down the University of Texas, Arlington 4-0 before falling to No. 9-ranked University of Texas, Austin 6-1. The defeat to Texas was the Owls’ first home loss of the season. 

The Owls wasted little time in snatching the doubles point from UT Arlington in their match against the Mavericks. Sophomore Anna Bowtell and freshman Victoria Smirnova finished their match first with a 6-2 win, followed shortly by a victory on court two by junior Priya Niezgoda and freshman Anastasia Smirnova to clinch the 1-0 advantage. 

Niezgoda and Smirnova are currently the No. 49-ranked doubles team in the nation. Head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said she could sense the chemistry between Niezgoda and Smirnova. 

“They’ve played together as a unit and had really good positive energy out there,” Schmidt said. 

The Owls carried the momentum from the doubles point into singles play. Rice raced to first-set wins on all six singles courts. Freshman Victoria Smirnova was the first to finish with a win. She was followed shortly after by her twin sister Anastasia, who won her second set 6-1 to complete the victory and put the Owls ahead 3-0. Sophomore Anna Bowtell finished the sweep over the Mavericks with a victory in her match to clinch the 4-0 win. Bowtell’s clinch prevented sophomore Michaela Haet, Niezgoda, and sophomore Linda Huang from finishing their matches, though the Owls were ahead in all three of the unfinished matches. 

Schmidt said she was impressed with the improvement the team made on Saturday as a whole compared to the previous match, a loss to No. 12 University of Kansas. 

“We took a step forward and that is what we’re always looking to do,” Schmidt said. 

According to Schmidt, the team’s clean approach helped to carry it to victory.

“We played disciplined and solid tennis,” Schmidt said.

However, Schmidt’s comments on Saturday about the team taking a step forward did not apply to singles play in Sunday’s match against Texas. The Longhorns entered Sunday ranked No. 7 in the Tennis Channel/USTA media poll and No. 9 in the Oracle/ITA rankings. Rice continued its success in doubles play on Sunday by winning two of the three doubles matches, with the pair of Anastasia Smirnova and Niezgoda claiming their doubles match by a score of 6-2. However, Texas raced out to win all six first singles sets. The Longhorns proceeded to grab three matches in straight sets to take a 3-1 lead. However, Rice bounced back to force third sets on three courts. If the Owls had won all three of the matches that went to three sets, they would have won the match. However, they did not complete the comeback, losing in every match that went to a third and final set. 

After the 6-1 loss against the top-10 ranked Longhorns, the Owls will look to rewrite the script against a No. 40-ranked University of Denver team. The Owls face the Pioneers on Friday at 1 p.m. at the George R. Brown Tennis Center. 

50 years later, Rice’s first Black student-athletes reflect on their impact

Stahlé Vincent came back to Rice over the weekend. But this time, he got a different reception than he did when he first set foot on campus over five decades ago. “[When I first got here] there was not an open-arm reception,” Vincient said. “There were people who never spoke [to me], people avoided me, I had professors who wouldn’t call my name at roll. There was an animus there that you could feel.”

After 350 wins, Volpe still isn’t thinking about her legacy

During her 19-year tenure, Rice volleyball head coach Genny Volpe has led the Owls to seven NCAA tournaments, two conference championships, 14 winning seasons and, as of Aug. 26’s victory over the University of Houston, 350 wins. With the Owls back in the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s top 25 as of Monday, those numbers seem poised to keep improving. This is a flooring amount of success for a program that had never even been to the tournament until Volpe was hired, but she is far from willing to take sole credit. 

Volleyball upsets No. 17 Creighton, jumps into top-25

On Sunday, a flock of birds rose victorious above Tudor fieldhouse and it wasn’t a band of blue jays. After five intense sets, the Owls team took down No. 17 Creighton University on a second match point, capping off a tournament which started off with a reverse sweep of Big 12 opponent Kansas State University. After missing out on the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s Top 25 last week by one spot, the defining weekend was enough to jump the Rice volleyball team to No. 23 on the rankings.