Tuesday, September 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

Men’s basketball comes back from 20-point deficit

basketball-1-cloris-cai
Photo credit: Cloris Cai

By Derrick Kagwanja     2/26/19 10:20pm

Despite falling behind by as many as 20 points in the second half of Saturday’s game against the University of Texas, El Paso, Rice men’s basketball stormed back for an 85-81 win. The game, which went to double overtime, was decided by a slew of scoring by freshman guard Chris Mullins, who converted a contested layup and four free throws within the last minute and a half to establish a five-point Rice lead. Head coach Scott Pera said Mullins has earned his right to be a late-game playmaker. 

“We’ve had a lot of confidence in Chris as he’s matured through the season, and we put the ball in his hands through the end,” Pera said. “We were confident he would make the right decision and the right play and he did, not only [with] the buckets that he made but also the great pass he made to [sophomore guard Trey Murphy III] in the corner for three.” 

The Owls overcame a 17-point halftime deficit, outscoring the Miners 43-26 in the second half, to tie the game at 63 and force overtime. UTEP rushed out to a quick four-point lead in the first overtime period before junior forward Robert Martin gave the Owls signs of life by hitting a jumper to reduce the deficit to only two points. Martin was all over the ball in the waning minutes of the period, stealing the ball from UTEP and helping turn the ensuing possession into a three-point play for Mullins on the other end. According to Mullins, Rice’s comeback was fueled by its players’ faith in their teammates.

“Just the confidence we had in each other, and the fact we knew we were going to make plays and make a run ... helped us to come back,” Mullins said. 

The Owls are currently 11-17 on the year, with a 6-9 record in conference play. Mullins has helped to replace some of the production from players who transferred from Rice last year, averaging 12.5 points per game and shooting 33 percent from three in 29 minutes per game. Mullins said the Owls can continue to improve by focusing on fundamentals. 

“We can set ourselves up for success by believing in our system and believing on the defensive end what we can do to be effective,” Mullins said. “We know what we can do, and we know how we can play; just the fact that we can do that for 40 minutes will help us be successful in the long run.” 

According to Martin, there were lessons to be learned from the Owls’ comeback victory. 

“There will be times in the next three games when we will be losing, we will be down and those will be the times for us to rally, come together and overcome adversity,” Martin said. “This past game showed us we have what it takes to come back and win.” 

The Owls now have three more regular-season games to play before the Conference USA Tournament begins on Mar. 13.

50 years later, Rice’s first Black student-athletes reflect on their impact

Stahlé Vincent came back to Rice over the weekend. But this time, he got a different reception than he did when he first set foot on campus over five decades ago. “[When I first got here] there was not an open-arm reception,” Vincient said. “There were people who never spoke [to me], people avoided me, I had professors who wouldn’t call my name at roll. There was an animus there that you could feel.”

After 350 wins, Volpe still isn’t thinking about her legacy

During her 19-year tenure, Rice volleyball head coach Genny Volpe has led the Owls to seven NCAA tournaments, two conference championships, 14 winning seasons and, as of Aug. 26’s victory over the University of Houston, 350 wins. With the Owls back in the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s top 25 as of Monday, those numbers seem poised to keep improving. This is a flooring amount of success for a program that had never even been to the tournament until Volpe was hired, but she is far from willing to take sole credit. 

Volleyball upsets No. 17 Creighton, jumps into top-25

On Sunday, a flock of birds rose victorious above Tudor fieldhouse and it wasn’t a band of blue jays. After five intense sets, the Owls team took down No. 17 Creighton University on a second match point, capping off a tournament which started off with a reverse sweep of Big 12 opponent Kansas State University. After missing out on the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s Top 25 last week by one spot, the defining weekend was enough to jump the Rice volleyball team to No. 23 on the rankings.