Tuesday, September 22, 2020 — Houston, TX °

New Harris County Commissioners Court must fix the dialysis dilemma

dialysis-opinion-photo

Courtesy Eric Stone

By Alissa Kono , Brenda Diaz and Marin Beal     1/8/19 9:57pm

As a Rice student, you’ve probably driven through the Texas Medical Center at least once. Looking out the window, your eyes may have immediately focused on glistening glass buildings and soaring arches, the wealth and charity reflecting off every surface. But what you’ve likely never noticed is the less welcoming shadow these hospitals cast in the early mornings — at 4 a.m., when lines of patients flood the emergency care centers at every hospital, from Ben Taub to Memorial Hermann, according to the Houston Chronicle. This scene is the product of a broken system, a system that we must push our newly elected county leaders to fix.

Many of these patients are undocumented immigrants who suffer from end-stage renal disease (ESRD). At least once every week, in order to receive vital dialysis treatments, they must demonstrate what the law describes as a “critical condition” — that is, they must be at the brink of death. Most patients, even after having been examined and having their blood drawn, are turned away. Any misstep guarantees that they will not be treated. If they show up after 4 a.m., they get no treatment. If they don’t describe the right symptoms — chest pain or shortness of breath — again, no treatment. For newcomers, it can take three to four visits to the emergency room to learn the tactics necessary to fight for life-saving care within Harris County’s hospital system, according to the Houston Chronicle

If any citizen suffering from the final stages of chronic kidney failure were denied  necessary medical care for not being “sick enough,” there would be outrage. For these particular patients, though, this debilitating process is a part of everyday life. 

Just as Rice students are often ignorant of issues happening right across the street, we are also blind to how our laws directly contribute to these problems. While some celebrate federal legislation such as President Bill Clinton’s 1996 Welfare Reform laws and President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act, these laws implemented harsh citizenship requirements for healthcare and welfare programs. The only safety net for undocumented immigrants can be found in the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act of 1986 (EMTALA), which requires hospitals to stabilize anyone with a life-threatening condition. 

However, relying on EMTALA forces an already vulnerable population to frequently flirt with death. Without the ability to schedule proactive treatment, undocumented ESRD patients face a constantly deteriorating condition. It’s thus unsurprising that undocumented ESRD patients are hospitalized longer (135 compared to 5 days), and the cost of their emergency treatments is close to four times more expensive than routine treatments, according to a 2007 study published in Texas Medicine. And under EMTALA, that financial burden falls on the hospital’s other customers — patients who have insurance. Consequently, Texans shoulder over $10 million each year in medical costs because of how our hospital systems force undocumented patients to resort to expensive emergency dialysis, according to a 2014 study.  

Fortunately, Harris County has made progress over the years to expand access to scheduled dialysis treatment for undocumented ESRD patients. Thanks to far-sighted leadership, the Harris Health System opened the Riverside Dialysis Center in 2008. Riverside provides free scheduled dialysis to needy patients, regardless of their citizenship status. Since then, around half of Houston’s undocumented ESRD population has been able to receive scheduled care three times a week without arduous trips to the emergency room.. The Riverside Center currently has new plans to expand its treatment space and their at-home dialysis trainings, but we believe that these plans will never be enough to provide treatment for all of Houston’s undocumented ESRD patients. Hundreds of immigrants will still line up every morning at public and private hospitals, and the lines will continue to grow — chronic kidney disease is on the rise in the United States, according to a recent study

We believe that Harris County should partner with private hospitals to fund and build more dialysis centers like Riverside that provide compassionate care for undocumented individuals. Currently, private hospitals shoulder only a fraction of the responsibility for treating undocumented ESRD patients when compared to Harris County’s public hospital system, the daily flood of patients in desperate need of care presents financial and operational problems. This partnership would help those with ESRD get regular treatment while also freeing up crowded emergency rooms at private hospitals — a more efficient use of medical resources and money. 

Here’s what you can do. In the November elections, we elected a new Harris County judge, Lina Hidalgo. Just yesterday, Hidalgo and and new Harris County Precinct 2 Commissioner Adrian Garcia took their seats on Commissioners Court, the county’s decision-making body,  and, for the first time in many Rice students’ lives, Democrats have a majority. We urge you to use your positions as students of Rice University and residents of Harris County to push our county’s leaders to fix this broken system. You have the potential to improve the lives of one of the most powerless communities in Houston. Please take a few minutes to use your voice to help those who can't. A life could depend on it.

How to safely vote in the presidential election

The upcoming presidential election may be the most important of our lifetime. It also comes in the middle of a life-changing pandemic that has seriously altered election administration. Although election procedures continue to be finalized, we now have a solid idea of what our options are for voting in November and as the election judge for Rice’s polling location this year, I’m here to break it all down for you.

To the administration: Reevaluate unpaid student labor

This March, when students across campus received an email announcement that classes were shifted to a remote format for the rest of the semester, many of us had one preliminary concern: How will we move out of our dorms? With piles of personal belongings remaining in empty dorms, the job of packing and moving boxes was relegated to students, most of whom did the job without pay. In an interview for an article in our features section this week, one student said he spent approximately 75 hours on the task.

Rice students must care about climate change and act accordingly

Recently, I was eating dinner outdoors when I saw a classmate throw a plastic Gatorade bottle in the trash can. I mentioned it, and she told me that she wasn’t recycling because there was still Gatorade in the bottle. When I suggested that she empty and rinse out the bottle to recycle it, she just waved her hand and laughed. I returned to my room, crushed — that same morning, my family in California’s Bay Area had awoken to another day of hazardous smoke and “snowing” ash from three nearby wildfires, and some of the sites of my childhood memories had burned to the ground.