Tuesday, September 22, 2020 — Houston, TX °

‘Places I’ve cried’ and the dangers of normalizing mental illness

audrey-doidge-and-teresa-smith

By Audrey Doidge and Teresa Smith     12/5/18 2:45pm

Crying every day. Not being able to get out of bed. Losing interest in hobbies and academics. Pushing away friends and family members. Feeling intense loneliness and isolation. These are all things you will find on a list of signs of mental illness. These are also things you will find on the “rice university places i’ve cried” Facebook page

For those who are unfamiliar with it, “rice university places i’ve cried” is a Facebook page that serves as a unique platform where Rice students can share their struggles and “cries” with one another. At first glance, this seems like a wonderful place to destigmatize anything from the academic struggles of college to first-time rejections to feelings of imposter syndrome. And it is wonderful and supportive, don't get us wrong. But, we think that people should be careful not to normalize symptoms of anxiety and depression as simply the effect of being a Rice student. 

The page particularly worries us because in both of our experiences, our decision to seek help only came when we decided for ourselves that the way we were feeling was not normal. When you are in a bad place, it is very easy to try to play it off as not being a big deal — mental illness does that to you. It tries to convince you that what you are feeling is an overreaction. We are worried that those seeing posts expressing feelings similar to theirs will view early symptoms of mental illness as a normal part of the Rice experience and might make people think the way they are feeling is inevitable or unchangeable.

We are not writing this article as outsiders from the world of mental illness. We are writing this as people who have suffered from major mental health issues and have gotten better with the help of medication and therapy. To be clear, we don’t think that the page should be shut down or that people should stop posting about their struggles, but we think that the page’s administrators should place more emphasis on going through the difficult and often painful process of getting help. If you are in a bad place, by all means, post on the page and get the support of friends and fellow students. However, know the signs of mental illness and consider that you may need help beyond what your friends and a Facebook page can offer you. And that’s okay. 

Underpaid, overworked: Students speak out about challenges in leadership positions

On a sweltering day in August, groups of students across campus braced themselves for the daunting task ahead of them: spending hours helping new students move into their dorms. Move-in day kicks off Orientation Week every year, and nearly all Rice students are familiar with the ritual of sweaty, beaming advisors running back and forth with labeled cardboard boxes as incoming students start exploring their new home.  

Rice among minority of peer institutions to hold in-person classes

U.S. News & World Report’s Top 20 colleges have adopted varying reopening plans and testing strategies for the fall semester. Rice, which has maintained a low positivity rate on COVID tests, joins only five other Top 20 institutions — the University of Chicago, the University of Notre Dame, Duke University, Vanderbilt University and Cornell University — in offering a hybrid or in-person classroom experience for the fall.

How to safely vote in the presidential election

The upcoming presidential election may be the most important of our lifetime. It also comes in the middle of a life-changing pandemic that has seriously altered election administration. Although election procedures continue to be finalized, we now have a solid idea of what our options are for voting in November and as the election judge for Rice’s polling location this year, I’m here to break it all down for you.