Thursday, August 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 80°

Volleyball wins conference title, earns NCAA Tournament berth

volleyball

By Andrew Grottkau     11/18/18 12:50pm

Rice volleyball clinched the Conference USA Tournament championship for the first time since 2009 with a 3-0 sweep of Florida International University on Sunday. The win clinches the Owls a berth in next month’s NCAA Tournament. 

Rice raced out to a 2-0 lead with close but comfortable victories in the first two sets, by scores of 25-21 and 25-22, respectively. In the third set, however, Rice trailed 24-22, and FIU had set point before the Owls off four straight points to win the set and the match. With Rice trailing by the 24-22 margin, sophomore Kassidy Muse recorded a kill, then junior Grace Morgan and sophomore Nicole Lennon combined on a block to tie the set. FIU then called timeout, but with Rice still serving, Morgan recorded a kill to give the Owls championship point. On the final point, Muse and Morgan combined on a block to clinch the victory.

Players on the Owls bench stormed the court the moment the ball hit the floor, and coaches embraced on the sideline in celebration of the team’s first conference tournament title in nearly a decade. 

The win clinched an NCAA Tournament berth for the Owls, who will appear in the 64-team bracket for the fourth time since 2004 and first time since 2009. Head coach Genny Volpe has been at the helm for each of those appearances after taking over the position in 2004. 

Best and Worst of: Lollapalooza 2019

While attending the four-day festival was enough to give us some pretty persistent post-concert depression (not to mention legs of steel and black festival snot for days), there were some parts that we won’t really miss — like the canned water and soul-sucking L trip back to our Airbnb. While not all aspects of Lollapalooza may have been worth storming the fence for, there were certainly many that left a lasting impression, and reasons that Lollapalooza stood out as a festival to remember.

A new coffee shop on the first floor of McNair Hall is projected to open for business this September, according to Peter Rodriguez, dean of the Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business. According to Rodriguez, several external vendors are currently competing for a contract. Whichever vendor is selected will choose the baristas who will staff the coffee shop and the types of coffee and food offered, Rodriguez said.