Thursday, May 28, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Volleyball wins conference title, earns NCAA Tournament berth

volleyball

By Andrew Grottkau     11/18/18 12:50pm

Rice volleyball clinched the Conference USA Tournament championship for the first time since 2009 with a 3-0 sweep of Florida International University on Sunday. The win clinches the Owls a berth in next month’s NCAA Tournament. 

Rice raced out to a 2-0 lead with close but comfortable victories in the first two sets, by scores of 25-21 and 25-22, respectively. In the third set, however, Rice trailed 24-22, and FIU had set point before the Owls off four straight points to win the set and the match. With Rice trailing by the 24-22 margin, sophomore Kassidy Muse recorded a kill, then junior Grace Morgan and sophomore Nicole Lennon combined on a block to tie the set. FIU then called timeout, but with Rice still serving, Morgan recorded a kill to give the Owls championship point. On the final point, Muse and Morgan combined on a block to clinch the victory.

Players on the Owls bench stormed the court the moment the ball hit the floor, and coaches embraced on the sideline in celebration of the team’s first conference tournament title in nearly a decade. 

The win clinched an NCAA Tournament berth for the Owls, who will appear in the 64-team bracket for the fourth time since 2004 and first time since 2009. Head coach Genny Volpe has been at the helm for each of those appearances after taking over the position in 2004. 

Rice mandates mask-wearing, shares vision to reopen campus

Rice announced the health protocols, which will be in place starting June 1 until further notice, in an email to students yesterday. Leebron had previously shared a $10 million budget gap caused by COVID-19 and the potential for full-time employees to be furloughed in a town hall on Friday.

First-ever virtual commencement held for the Class of 2020

With an in-person graduation ceremony indefinitely postponed, the class of 2020 was presented in a virtual commencement ceremony, livestreamed yesterday on the university’s YouTube and Facebook page. The undergraduate ceremony included footage of students and campus, messages from various community members, and a reading of all the graduating seniors’ names.