A Symphony of Silhouettes: Discovery Green presents “moonGARDEN”

img-0061

Houstonians visit Discovery Green’s “moonGARDEN” on Oct. 1. Photo by Katelyn Landry.

By Katelyn Landry     10/2/18 11:29pm

Hidden in the bustle of downtown Houston now lies a vibrant moonscape that takes shadow storytelling to a whole new level. 

Discovery Green is hosting “moonGARDEN,” a unique art installation of 22 illuminated spheres, from Sept. 29 through Oct. 7. The project was created by Lucion Traveling Light of Montreal and has been seen by over one million people worldwide since 2012. According to Lucion Media, the content of the spherical “shadow theaters” can be customized to fit a chosen theme or history. The Houston exhibition of “moonGARDEN” is the largest in the United States and the first in Texas. The exhibit’s welcome sign explains how artists behind “moonGARDEN” hope this innovation in shadow play “inspires others to dream and find their own creativity.” The landscape of Discovery Green suits the art installation extraordinarily well with plenty of space, trees and other complimentary attractions such as an illuminated splash pad and the famous Gateway Fountain. 

The spheres range from 6 to 30 feet in diameter and are scattered throughout the Discovery Green lawn and the plaza at Avenida Houston. Inside each “bubble” are structures and mechanisms that cast huge shadows onto the surface. Generated by an inner rotating light, these shadows provoked excited screams from children and some unique Instagram opportunities for the hundreds of visitors in attendance. Each bubble showcases different silhouettes that represent a certain aspect of Houston culture. One bubble is meant to represent family, so an image of two parents holding their child as it takes its first step glides across the surface. Another bubble serves as an homage to Houston sports by depicting a Houston Texans football helmet, a Rockets player making a shot and the stadium lights of Minute Maid Park. From Oct. 1 to 3, “moonGARDEN” offered guided “Twilight Tours” by one of Lucion’s contributing artists, who explained the design and purpose of each shadow theater in order to give audiences a deeper understanding of how “moonGARDEN” tells the story of Houston.

With light instrumental music playing in the background and the spheres reflecting in the pond nearby, the atmosphere of “moonGARDEN” is practically fairylike. The huge bubble-like theaters inspire awe from visitors young and old. It’s certainly easy to see how the space inspired wonder and play for children while providing a serene getaway for the adults in attendance. 

“MoonGARDEN” gives Houstonians a chance to escape the bustle of the city and be captivated by the power of storytelling and imagination. The installation undoubtedly services Houston families by presenting a novel art form that induces that childlike curiosity that gets lost in routine. Be sure to catch “moonGARDEN” before it’s gone — the installation will be on display until Sunday Oct. 7 from 6 p.m. to 12 a.m.