Saturday, September 26, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Brynn Elliott’s Debut EP Is Your New Girl Power Inspiration

brynn-elliott-courtesy-brynn-elliott
Photo Courtesy of Brynn Elliott

By Amelia Calautti     9/19/18 3:14am

3.5/5

Brynn Elliott is not your ordinary pop star. Fresh out of Harvard University, Elliott combines her philosophy degree and songwriting abilities with the purpose of inspiring listeners to embrace themselves and take action. Since entering Harvard in 2014, Elliott has juggled schoolwork and music, taking time off from Cambridge to open for artists such as Alanis Morissette, Grace Potter and Brandi Carlile. Signed on a joint contract with Atlantic Records and Big Yellow Dog Music, Elliott is on a steady rise to fame. 

Shortly after graduating from Harvard, Elliott released her first EP titled “Time Of Our Lives.” All five tracks reflect on her experiences as a college student, following themes of youth, love and rebellion. The EP adopts a laid-back, beachy-pop vibe that yearns to be blasted in the car with the windows down. While the lyrics lack maturity, the overall sound of the EP is enjoyable and impressive for a new artist. Elliott’s songs mimic those by artists such as Julia Michaels, Charlotte Lawrence and Katelyn Tarver, mixing delicate vocals with pop beats and feminist themes. 

The first track of the EP is “Might Not Like Me,” an upbeat song (with almost two million streams on Spotify) centered around girl power. This anthem follows the story of an insecure ex-boyfriend who broke up with Elliott because of her strength and intelligence.  The 22-year-old sings, “Boy, lay down your pride … if you don’t like girls braver than you / Well then you might not like me.” “Might Not Like Me” encourages girls never to be ashamed of their power, especially in a society that encourages women to remain soft spoken and delicate. While the message is powerful, the song comes off repetitive and Disney Channel-y, perhaps targeting an audience of middle schoolers. I wish the song offered more angst and variety in its composure, helping its tone match the strength of it’s lyrics.    

The next track, “Internet You,” is a standout on the EP due to its relaxing beat, addictive melody and relevance to today’s usage of social media. Elliott sings of a “picture perfect” boy whose Instagram persona is a mere illusion. His true damaged and guarded real-life persona reminds listeners that social media is not representative of reality. This song boasts the best of Elliott’s songwriting abilities, elevating the EP from juvenile to noteworthy. I hope to see Elliott’s music follow the same direction as “Internet You,” as this track is perfect for pop radio.  

The titular track, “Time Of Our Lives,” is a cliche song with many cringe-worthy lyrics (note: “every day we’re alive is the freaking best”). However, if you can get past the questionable lyricism, the song is actually pretty catchy and fun. It’s very much the type of song to be played during a romcom montage, where the main characters are shopping, laughing and doing whatever else fake teenagers do. If you’re the person who enjoys the music played in Hollister stores, then this is the song for you. 

While Brynn Elliott’s debut EP is not the most complex of albums, it is fitting for moments when you want to feel optimistic or empowered. Although the lyrics could use improvement and her style more maturity, Elliott is on the track toward pop stardom with beats and melodies that are on par with those of other big names in music. Don’t sleep on this Harvard graduate; with some growth and time, I predict she’ll be all over the Billboard charts.

Rice students take the mic with independent podcasts

The beauty of podcasts comes from their convenience — plug in your headphones, press play and go about your day — you’ll find that more often than not, podcasts will fall seamlessly into your schedule. While plenty of Rice students have turned to podcasts to break up the monotony of their routine, a handful of owls have traded headphones for microphones and started shows of their own. If, like me, you’ve struggled to fill the empty stretches of silence of your days in quarantine, consider listening to these four podcasts created by your fellow Rice students.   

A First Look into the Moody’s Fall 2020 Exhibition: States of Mind: Art and American Democracy

What really is democracy? What does it mean to be a democracy and what does it entail? The Moody Center for the Arts’s new fall exhibition, “States of Mind: Art and American Democracy,” seeks to answer these questions, although perhaps not in the way you might imagine. Moody’s newest exhibit, organized by Associate Curator Ylinka Barotto, introduces new perspectives and angles from artists telling their own stories in their own ways, particularly focusing on national issues affecting Texas. Its goal is to drive new thoughts and deeper revelations in viewers. Art, after all, is not about giving direct answers, but coming to your own.  

Bakerites channel anxieties into art in new exhibit, “PANDEMIA”

Any other year, Baker College’s P-Quad would be bustling with people gathering to eat, study, and socialize. COVID-19 restrictions this semester have subdued some of that energy, but recently, students and faculty across Rice have been flocking there for an unexpected reason. For the next month, P-Quad will be home to PANDEMIA: an outdoor art exhibit featuring students’ perspectives on the COVID-19 pandemic.