Friday, May 10, 2024 — Houston, TX

Basketball teams pick up early verbal commits

By Eric Barber     9/25/18 11:43pm

Rice basketball has picked up a total of eight verbal commitments recently, with five on the women’s side and three on the men’s side. The commitments from these players come roughly two months before the first date they can officially sign.

For NCAA Division I basketball, recruits can sign with a team during one of two periods. The early signing period this year begins on November 14 and ends on November 21. After the first period, players must wait until April 17 of next year to officially sign. 

Women’s head coach Tina Langley returns for her fourth season with the Owls. The women’s team comes off one of their best seasons in recent memory, winning the second-most games in program history. The 23-win team made it to the semifinals of the Conference USA tournament and subsequently earned a berth to the Women’s National Invitational Tournament, where the Owls fell in the second round. The trip to the WNIT was the first for the program since 2011.

The men’s team is coached by second-year head coach Scott Pera, who previously served three years as the associate head coach. The 2017-2018 year was a season to forget for the Owls. Winning only seven games, they struggled to get any momentum throughout the year. The Owls also lost six players due to transfers this past offseason.

After recruiting the high school and Amateur Athletic Union circuits in the past year, both programs had players come to Rice for their official visits. Then, at various points in time, the recruits verbally committed, releasing statements or videos via Twitter. Below is information on the recruiting classes for the high school class of 2019. (Note: These commitments are not binding.)

Women’s

Ashlee Austin

Height: 6-0

Position: Forward

Hometown: Johns Creek, GA

High School: Northview High School

4 stars according to prospectsnation.com

India Bellamy

Height: 6-1

Position: Forward/Center

Hometown: McDonough, GA

High School: Eagle’s Landing Christian Academy

3.5 stars according to prospectsnation.com

Katelyn Crosthwait

Height: 5-10

Position: Guard

Hometown: Washington, OK

High School: Washington High School

No star rating available

Destiny Jackson

Height: 5-8

Position: Guard

Hometown: Arlington, TX

High School: Mansfield Timberview High School

Lauren Schwartz

Height: 5-10

Position: Forward

Hometown: Union, KY

High School: Ryle High School

Men’s

Zach Crisler

Height: 6-9

Position: Forward

Hometown: Glenside, PA

High School: La Salle College High School

3 stars according to 247 Sports

Max Fiedler

Height: 6-10

Position: Center

Hometown: Melbourne, FL

High School: Melbourne High School

No star rating available

Quincy Olivari

Height: 6-3

Position: Guard

Hometown: Atlanta, GA

High School: Westlake High School

No star rating available