Friday, September 30, 2022 — Houston, TX

​Student Success Initiatives’ food pantry aims to address food insecurity

By Anna Ta     8/21/18 11:58pm

Student Success Initiatives opened a food pantry accessible to the Rice community in order to address food insecurity on campus.

The pantry is located in the SSI main office in the Rice Memorial Center cloisters and is accessible on Monday and Friday from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. and on Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.

Community members can also request to visit outside of those hours by contacting Jessica Bowers Chukwu at jb73@rice.edu or Carli Rosati at cmr14@rice.edu.

The pantry is completely anonymous and SSI will be conducting anonymous surveys to ensure it is providing the most beneficial items.

Bowers, the assistant director of SSI, said the SSI secured resources from the Office of the Dean of Undergraduates in order to open the pantry.

“The idea of establishing a food pantry has been in the queue for a while,” Bowers said. “Our ultimate goal is to create a self-sustaining resource through donations from the Rice community.”

Community members can submit non-perishable food items as well as financial donations by contacting Chukwu or Rosati.

Review: ‘Do Revenge’ does right by beloved teen classics

Alfred Hitchcock’s 1951 film, “Strangers on a Train,” sees two strangers who team up to enact the perfect murder, swapping their victims so they could never be linked to the crime. Of course, the concept of a perfect murder is a compelling pillar of the psychological thriller genre — but what about a perfect revenge?

Review: Djo creates a dreamy, psychedelic journey with ‘DECIDE’

On “DECIDE,” actor and musician Joe Keery expands his solo project Djo’s sound to ambitious new places. Although many people primarily know Keery through the show “Stranger Things,” where he plays Steve Harrington, he’s been involved in music for years and is a former member of Chicago psych rock band Post Animal. “DECIDE” is his sophomore album, a follow up to 2019’s impeccable “Twenty Twenty.”

Review: ‘Industry’ takes the leap with a poignant second season

The finale of “Industry’s” stellar second season features a relatively cliché sports metaphor, so it’s only fitting to start this review with one of my own. There are a few universally satisfying moments in sports: the underdog who beats an obnoxious powerhouse, the aging star who has more left in the tank than we thought or the young talent who puts it all together and goes from promising to a superstar. This season, “Industry” took that leap.