Sunday, October 24, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Editorial: Princeton Review rankings are no excuse for inaction

princeton_review

Rice is starting this year with numerous high rankings from the Princeton Review, commending the school in categories such as “Lots of Race/Class Interaction” where the university ranked No. 1 and “Best Dorms” where Rice ranked No. 10. We are proud to attend a university that has achieved such rankings, but we also believe these accolades are not a reason to be complacent in categories where Rice has received national recognition.

This year, we hope to see tangible investments from the administration that validate Rice’s rankings, including concrete progress on the campus multicultural center. Last year Provost Marie Lynn Miranda stated the new center would be a $2 million construction project adjacent to the Rice Memorial Center, but she now says the administration is currently evaluating which parts of the RMC to renovate and how much such renovations will cost. We also hope to see the administration work to create more equitable dorm conditions. While it’s true that dorms such as McMurtry’s and Duncan’s offer high quality living spaces, such quality is not consistent across colleges, such as Hanszen, where some students petitioned for improved facilities through last year’s Second Vision for the Second Century survey.

We also hope the administration prioritizes undergraduate teaching as an important factor when making staffing decisions and continues to address feedback on the Critical Thinking in Sexuality course. We are pleased to see the improvements to this year’s course, including offering classes on weeknights and grouping students by residential college. One area we would like revisited is the decision to teach safe sex topics only in the non-mandatory LPAP version of the course. We hope this year as feedback is gathered, students can participate in the discussion about the teaching of contraception in CTIS and, if they feel such a topic should be included in the curriculum (as we at the Thresher do), voice this sentiment to the administration.

We are proud to attend a university that has received such national recognition and hope that this year, our university demonstrates its commitment to listening to its students and dedicating its resources to improving every aspect of Rice, even the ones where we’re already on top. Oh, and we also need the administration to stop the Graduate Student Association from winning Beer Bike every year. They’re big enough to have their own race! We are the undergraduate student newspaper, after all. 

Rice set to join American Athletic Conference

For just the third time in school history, Rice will be moving athletic conferences. Along with five other Conference USA schools, Rice accepted an invitation to join the American Athletic Conference, the AAC announced Thursday morning. Rice will remain in C-USA for now, as the move won’t take effect until a later time which is yet to be determined, although multiple Rice coaches indicated that 2023 could be a possible target date. According to Athletic Director Joe Karlgaard, in the AAC, Rice has found a conference that meets all of its criteria.

Wellbeing & Counseling Centers see 37% increase in demand from last year

The Wellbeing & Counseling Center have both seen an increase in use since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to Elizabeth Plummer, the clinical director of the Counseling Center. According to Plummer, walk-in appointments are available for emergency situations, and slots for these crisis appointments have been accounted for in the Counseling Center’s schedule to make walk-ins accessible. Since last year, the Counseling Center has seen nearly four times as many crisis appointments as they usually do, according to Timothy Baumgartner, director of the Counseling Center.

Nicole Lennon breaks kills record against LA Tech

Senior outside hitter Nicole Lennon made Rice history on Saturday, breaking the program’s all-time kills record as the Owls beat Louisiana Tech University in both matches of their two game series. With her 1970th kill, Lennon broke the record set almost two decades ago by Rice legend and former member of the Spain women’s national volleyball team Rebeca Paz. After the game, Lennon said that breaking the record let her see just how much of an impact she’s made on the program.