Wednesday, December 11, 2019 — Houston, TX 51°

All-clear called after fatal shooting nearby prompts shelter-in-place at BRC

By Anna Ta     7/20/18 4:15pm

Rice University Police Department advised a shelter in place at the BioScience Research Collaborative Friday morning after a Houston Methodist Hospital doctor was fatally shot nearby. Several minutes later, RUPD issued an all-clear update and the Houston Police Department confirmed the shooter was no longer in the area.

According to RUPD, the warning was issued over the Rice Alert system after a shooting around 9 a.m. near 6800 Main St., three blocks from the BRC.

The doctor, whose identity has not yet been released, was biking northbound along Main St. when the gunman fired at least two shots, according to the Houston Chronicle. The gunman continued north on a bike and has not yet been found. The doctor died at Ben Taub Hospital.

According to the Houston Chronicle and RUPD, the suspect was described as a hispanic male with a black t-shirt and baseball cap. He was riding a dark-colored bike and had dark pants on and appeared to be between 20 or 30 years old. The Houston Chronicle stated is not known whether the shooting was targeted or random.

RUPD chief of police James Tate said the department had been monitoring HPD’s radio frequency and canvassed the area along with HPD units.

“RUPD officers continue to be on the lookout for the suspect and we ask our community to contact us in the event they see anyone who fits the description,” Tate said.

Call RUPD at 713-348-6000 with any information.  

Four suspects indicted after RUPD investigation into eight on-campus burglaries

A grand jury indicted four male suspects for their alleged involvement in a rash of on-campus burglaries last year which totaled $20,534 in damages, according to Rice University Police Department Chief of Police James Tate.  The four suspects, now awaiting trial after last Monday’s indictment, could face felony charges and up to $10,000 in fines if found guilty of the charges brought against them by RUPD. A resolution of the case would also account for all reported on-campus burglaries in 2018, according to RUPD Lieutenant of Investigations Derrick McClinton.

Waste contamination hinders recycling at Rice

The percent of waste recycled at Rice has remained stagnant around 25 percent in recent years, but the Administrative Center for Sustainability and Energy Management is aiming to reach 40 percent by 2020, according to the Facilities Engineering and Planning website.