Friday, September 18, 2020 — Houston, TX °

​The Strangest-Ever Item on A Graduation Bucket List: Milk Bones

92af44ea67b94ebf9bd80cd85c625ef3jpgw960

By Naomi Pringle     4/17/18 9:41pm

So you’ve lost a bet and now have to eat an entire box of Milk-Bones before you graduate. You’re probably feeling a mix of emotions. Friends are concerned, your stomach is feeling a little weird, and now your feverish Googling of “dog treats safe for humans?” has unleashed a rash of Facebook ads imploring you to consider more humane options for your dog than Milk-Bones. Never fear. Take it from someone who’s been there, with the right approach and a positive attitude, this experience can be nothing short of survivable! At just five calories apiece, and fortified with no fewer than 12 vitamins and minerals proven to promote a shiny coat and healthy claws, you might just find it to be a wholesome addition to your diet.

Meat and Milk-Bone turnover

To prepare, crush the dog treats in a large mixing bowl, adding water or milk as needed. Mix as much of this horrifying concoction as you can handle into the filling and bake at 400 degrees. If you’re moderate with your Milk-Bone usage, you might be lucky enough to not even taste them.

Optional beverage pairing: Tannic red wine. I had mine with a 2014 Château Sergant Bordeaux. Also suggested is indulging in an herbal supplement beforehand to make this a little more appetizing.

Chocolate tart with Milk-Bone crust

For dessert, take what remains of the dog treat paste and mix it with a bit of flour, sugar and butter, spreading as you would a pie crust into a cake pan. Prepare the rest of the tart as normal. Spread over enough surface area, the taste of the crust is negligible and the filling almost good enough to make this worth it.

Optional beverage pairing: Any dessert wine, like Moscato or Port.

Milk-Bone nachos

Almost as simple as eating them plain, elevate your experience by slathering a Milk-Bone in guacamole. Easy to source and even easier to consume, guac’s heavy flavor does a surprisingly good job of masking the taste of dog treat. I actually kind of liked it.

Optional beverage pairing: Margarita on the rocks. If you close your eyes, it’s not impossible to imagine yourself far from here, enjoying a normal, functional evening at Bodegas Taco Shop.

Straight

The boldest option here is also the easiest to prepare; slamming back a few dog treats straight up in the privacy of your own room is nothing to be ashamed of. This is a marathon, not a sprint, and if you want to finish this on time there’s no room to be elitist about your method of consumption. For increased bearability, I suggest allowing them to age for a few months somewhere cool and dry as you guiltily procrastinate the task at hand, wondering what it says about you as a person that you’ve gotten yourself into this situation. While stale dog treats are just as disgusting, they’re a lot easier to chew.

Optional beverage pairing: Just lots of water. And brush your fucking teeth.

Congratulations, you’ve made it through. If your reputation and stomach lining have survived this, give yourself a pat on the back! Consuming 283 dog treats is no easy task, and with a little tweaking of your conception of “pride” and “dignity,” you can find a way to see this as an achievement. Maybe.

Special thanks to resident sommelier Walden Pemantle for his culinary expertise and his help in mitigating what has been the grossest undertaking of my college career.

Underpaid, overworked: Students speak out about challenges in leadership positions

On a sweltering day in August, groups of students across campus braced themselves for the daunting task ahead of them: spending hours helping new students move into their dorms. Move-in day kicks off Orientation Week every year, and nearly all Rice students are familiar with the ritual of sweaty, beaming advisors running back and forth with labeled cardboard boxes as incoming students start exploring their new home.  

Rice among minority of peer institutions to hold in-person classes

U.S. News & World Report’s Top 20 colleges have adopted varying reopening plans and testing strategies for the fall semester. Rice, which has maintained a low positivity rate on COVID tests, joins only five other Top 20 institutions — the University of Chicago, the University of Notre Dame, Duke University, Vanderbilt University and Cornell University — in offering a hybrid or in-person classroom experience for the fall.

Sleepy Cyborg Galley kicks off semester with virtual exhibit, “Quaranzine”

In a world becoming increasingly dependent on dual-delivery, one has to ask how visual art, a mode of communication previously relegated mostly to the physical, is adapting to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.  An example of this dual-delivery form of visual art can be found at the newly renamed, student-run Sleepy Cyborg Gallery in their first exhibition of the year called “quaranzine.”