Tuesday, July 14, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Cyclist killed in collision with truck near Rice University main entrance

By Andrew Grottkau and Emily Abdow     4/24/18 1:30pm

According to a text alert from Rice University, a bicyclist was killed in an accident with a truck near the intersection of Main Street and Sunset Boulevard this morning. According to Rice University, the victim was the spouse of a member of the Rice community. The Houston Police Department has shut down the intersection and the text alert states members of the Rice community should avoid the area.

The bicyclist was a woman and the accident occurred just before noon on Tuesday, according to KHOU 11 News Houston.

This story is developing. Check ricethresher.org for updates.

Last updated April 24, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.

Historians share perspectives on monuments and racism, following recent discussions about William Marsh Rice

"The model [for discussions] has long been [that] it's a small group, usually of men, but a small group has met behind closed doors and made these decisions. And I think what all of us in all of our different work have said over and over and over again is that this has to be a public conversation. All stakeholders need to be involved in these decision-making processes,“ Anne Twitty, panelist at Monday’s webinar, said.

FEATURES 7/6/20 12:52am
What has the Task Force on Slavery, Segregation and Racial Injustice been up to?

Last month, a group of Black students published a list of demands for the administration to “address the systemic oppression and inequity that is embedded within Rice’s history by acknowledging and amplifying voices, experiences and communities that have historically been unheard.” One of the six demands is to remove Founder’s Memorial, the statue of William Marsh Rice found in the Academic Quad, on the basis of Rice’s enslavement of 15 people and involvement in the cotton trade. This demand received particular attention with “Down With Willy,” a student-led social media campaign to demand the administration remove the statue.