Friday, September 18, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Editorial: CTIS changes indicate continued progress

Dean of Undergraduates John Hutchinson and Director of Sexual Violence and Title IX Support Allison Vogt confirmed that changes to the Critical Thinking in Sexuality course will be implemented next fall, in response to student input after this year’s pilot course. The mandatory CTIS course will be offered Mondays through Thursdays during evening time slots at residential colleges. Students will attend the course with their fellow residential college members. Hutchinson and Vogt also said they hope to have mostly Rice instructors heading the sessions with the aid of volunteer teaching assistants, after freshmen voiced concerns over unrelatable outside instructors.

We are happy to learn of these changes, which directly respond to issues brought up by multiple students over this past school year. It bodes well that such swift improvement is on the horizon. Nevertheless, CTIS remains a very new program, and it is important to keep the conversation going regarding how we can continue to make progress so that this vital course achieves its full potential; student feedback will be integral to the course’s impact for years to come.

In that vein, some logistical issues may arise with attempting to find available rooms in the residential colleges to accommodate all the sessions. In addition, taking the course with freshmen from the same residential college could have either a negative or positive impact. One concern that was brought up when student feedback was gathered was a lack of student engagement. Being around familiar faces may encourage students to be more active in volunteering their thoughts and personal experiences, especially since the information can often be sensitive. Students may also feel more comfortable discussing their new living environments (i.e., their residential colleges) in relation to the topics brought up in CTIS.

However, being around students from the same college could discourage students from bringing up any sensitive issues to the very same people they live with. The class sessions, which will comprise 30 students each, may feel even smaller when populated wholly by fellow residential college members. The familiarity could also potentially lower attention spans and result in more boisterous behavior from students.

In the meantime, we look forward to seeing a new and improved CTIS unfold next semester. We hope the administration will continue to listen to student feedback and be open to discussion, as it did this year with the CTIS student working group. CTIS is a milestone in Rice’s initiative to better the well-being of students on campus, and it is encouraging to witness the progress being made.

How to safely vote in the presidential election

The upcoming presidential election may be the most important of our lifetime. It also comes in the middle of a life-changing pandemic that has seriously altered election administration. Although election procedures continue to be finalized, we now have a solid idea of what our options are for voting in November and as the election judge for Rice’s polling location this year, I’m here to break it all down for you.

To the administration: Reevaluate unpaid student labor

This March, when students across campus received an email announcement that classes were shifted to a remote format for the rest of the semester, many of us had one preliminary concern: How will we move out of our dorms? With piles of personal belongings remaining in empty dorms, the job of packing and moving boxes was relegated to students, most of whom did the job without pay. In an interview for an article in our features section this week, one student said he spent approximately 75 hours on the task.

Rice students must care about climate change and act accordingly

Recently, I was eating dinner outdoors when I saw a classmate throw a plastic Gatorade bottle in the trash can. I mentioned it, and she told me that she wasn’t recycling because there was still Gatorade in the bottle. When I suggested that she empty and rinse out the bottle to recycle it, she just waved her hand and laughed. I returned to my room, crushed — that same morning, my family in California’s Bay Area had awoken to another day of hazardous smoke and “snowing” ash from three nearby wildfires, and some of the sites of my childhood memories had burned to the ground.