Saturday, November 27, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Editorial: Students should more actively voice teaching concerns

Last week, a panel of Rice professors discussed and responded to common issues in Rice undergraduate teaching.

Students, especially STEM majors, often complain about their teachers, whether they be lecturers or tenure-track professors. One of the most persistent problems students have voiced is that of professors who excel in and focus on research, but not necessarily teaching. This is, unfortunately, an overarching issue that would require a massive overhaul of tenure at Rice, a process over which students likely have very little control. Still, all students and instructors have the ability to do their part to uphold this belief and maximize the communication channels already available in order to continue seeking further improvement.

The course evaluation system is the most obvious outlet for student opinion. However, reviews are often vague, focused purely on criticism rather than how to improve, or focused on giving advice to peers who will take the class in the future. Instead, students should try to include tangible ideas that give professors and lecturers a clearer idea of how to improve — and all students should take this process as a unique privilege to potentially impact the way an instructor approaches their class.

Another option is to actually capitalize on the opportunity to engage with professors via Student Association committees and advisory boards and town halls that exist within some departments and can be organized in others. Getting involved through standing committees such as the teaching committee or the undergraduate curriculum committee is an excellent opportunity to bring to light concerns of fellow students and work with active faculty toward achievable goals.

We should also consider simple avenues for additional feedback, such as adding an exit survey for those who choose to drop a course. In the near future, proposing simple methods to incite further participation can add up to making a difference in undergraduate teaching.

A new dean of undergraduates will soon take on the role of overseeing undergraduate academics by working with the faculty on teaching and curriculum. With this in mind, we encourage the search committee and applicants to prioritize teaching as one of the most pressing issues facing the undergraduate community.

Forbes wins regionals, Women’s XC qualifies for NCAAs

Sophomore distance runner Grace Forbes followed up her conference title with a first-place finish at the NCAA South-Central Cross Country Regional on Friday in Waco, TX, helping the Rice women’s team to a second place finish. The result earned them a spot in this Saturday’s NCAA championships for just the seventh time in program history. 

From the opinion editor’s desk: The opinion section is a space meant for the Rice community

As the semester nears its end, it’s time to reflect on the state of the opinion section this fall amidst a near return to normalcy, and to look forward to another semester of opinions. We’ve had a multitude of opinions and editorials published on a wide range of subjects. Still, some people coming to campus for the first time or who did not engage much with our paper while we were working online last year may not be all that familiar with the opinion section. I want to reintroduce the possibilities that the section offers for all of the Rice community.

It’s time to talk about Willy

Last week, the Board of Trustees announced that Reginald DesRoches, Rice’s current provost, will be the next president of Rice University. DesRoches will be the eighth president in the history of the university, and the first person of color and foreign-born person to hold the position. We applaud the Board’s selection of DesRoches, and wish him great success in his new role. But because there are seven months left before the beginning of his tenure, we would like to pen one of our final editorials to President David Leebron and the Board of Directors. It’s time to talk about everyone’s favorite subject — one that has found itself in our news section repeatedly — the statue of one William Marsh Rice.