Friday, June 05, 2020 — Houston, TX °

LTTE: ​Op-ed regarding Turner’s political involvement misguided in its criticism

maurice

By Maurice Frediere     2/21/18 5:07pm

In an op-ed released yesterday evening, two students whom I have a lot of respect for and consider friends mentioned that I was stepping down as Rice University Young Democrats co-president at the end of my term due to my presumptive role as Student Association external vice president next year.

I think it’s important to correct the record on this matter. I had decided at the end of last year to step down as Rice University Young Democrats president in March because I believed two years as vice president and president meant it was time for a new leadership team. The decision had nothing to do with my plan to run for EVP. To be unambiguous, as someone who has served on the SA’s executive team and been heavily involved since my freshman year while maintaining leadership positions in the Rice Democrats and various political campaigns, I can confidently say that Juliette Turner’s political involvement would not conflict with her responsibilities as IVP. I’d contend any assertion to the contrary demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the role and the work the SA does.

Maurice Frediere

Duncan College junior

Non-Black journalists, students and college administrators need to do better. So do we.

On May 25, Derek Chauvin killed George Floyd. Chauvin, a Minnesota police officer, pressed his knee against Floyd’s neck for almost nine minutes while Floyd was handcuffed and lying face down on the ground. Floyd did not merely “die in police custody” as the Washington Post and other publications continue to insist on phrasing it. As Floyd pleaded that he couldn’t breathe, a police officer killed him. Active voice.

Don’t overlook Black lives in pandemic solidarity

The COVID-19 pandemic seems to have given rise to a new phrase that has been thrown around by media outlets and social media users across the country: “We are all in this together.” Don’t get me wrong — I am not denying the fact that every person in this country has been impacted by the virus in some capacity, and I am certainly not denying the rise in local expressions of solidarity. Over the past couple months, we’ve seen students and volunteers across the country donate their time and resources to help their neighbors.  Young people have come together on social media platforms to address issues surrounding mental health and online learning, creating a sense of community while also practicing social distancing. I am not denying the presence of solidarity. What I would like to discuss, however, is the fallacy of solidarity in a racialized society.