Friday, October 18, 2019 — Houston, TX 77°

LTTE: ​Op-ed regarding Turner’s political involvement misguided in its criticism

maurice

By Maurice Frediere     2/21/18 5:07pm

In an op-ed released yesterday evening, two students whom I have a lot of respect for and consider friends mentioned that I was stepping down as Rice University Young Democrats co-president at the end of my term due to my presumptive role as Student Association external vice president next year.

I think it’s important to correct the record on this matter. I had decided at the end of last year to step down as Rice University Young Democrats president in March because I believed two years as vice president and president meant it was time for a new leadership team. The decision had nothing to do with my plan to run for EVP. To be unambiguous, as someone who has served on the SA’s executive team and been heavily involved since my freshman year while maintaining leadership positions in the Rice Democrats and various political campaigns, I can confidently say that Juliette Turner’s political involvement would not conflict with her responsibilities as IVP. I’d contend any assertion to the contrary demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the role and the work the SA does.

Maurice Frediere

Duncan College junior

What Black people hear when you use the N-word

As the semester starts and parties are in full swing, I want to speak out and be clear about one thing: Don’t use the N-word while rapping or singing along to songs. On a broader note, don’t use the N-word in your casual vocabulary. This is a demand, not a request.

Call for a balanced narrative on Kashmir

Two weeks ago, I attended the “Howdy, Modi!” event along with over 100 Rice students and 2,000 students from universities across the United States. It was a proud moment as an Indian American, as I saw fellow students dancing in their colorful garb, musicians celebrating all of India’s spiritual traditions and politicians honoring the contributions made and unique place held by Indian Americans in the fabric of the U.S. 

Letter to the editor: mindful protesting

Last week, I was dismayed to hear that over the course of protests happening at the university, chalk was used to deface multiple buildings across campus. A desire to strongly express feelings is understandable; however, it seems the vandals paid little attention to the burden their actions placed on those responsible for removing the writing.