Friday, May 14, 2021 — Houston, TX 69°

Editorial: SA resolution on international students aligns with important university goals

This past Monday, the Student Association discussed a resolution proposed by Martel College senior Danna Ghafir and SA President Justin Onwenu that would aim to fulfill Rice University’s goal of diversifying the international student population. The resolution focuses on socio-economically disadvantaged international populations in particular, and urges Rice to join the International Education’s Syria Consortium for Higher Education in Crisis. The goal is to provide more aid to international prospective students and also conduct outreach to some areas that may not know about Rice.

We commend Ghafir’s and Onwenu’s proposal, especially in light of President Leebron’s stated goals for his Vision for the Second Century II, which also aimed to expand and enrich Rice’s international student community. As Ghafir noted during the legislation’s introduction, Houston is home to many refugees who could very well wish to attend Rice, but have either no accessible knowledge of the school or no economic capability to do so (or both). If Rice truly hopes to form a student body both representative of and enriching to its broader community, then this resolution is a certain step toward achieving such an outcome.

The SA will vote on the resolution this Monday.

From the Editor’s Desk: Journalism takes a village

Remember that we are fellow students seeking to deliver truth to the community with the best intentions in mind. I am deeply appreciative of every student, staff member, faculty and administrator that has shared their stories, data and viewpoints with me. Without the Rice community’s buy-in, the important work we do would not be possible. 

Refocus STRIVE to fulfill its original purpose

As a Students Turning Rice Into a Violence-Free Environment liaison, the organization and its mission are incredibly important to me. I originally joined because, as a survivor myself, I wanted to be a part of facilitating safe spaces on campus through educating my peers and acting as a resource to provide support. STRIVE cares a lot about the student body and puts an extreme number of hours into raising awareness and making themselves accessible, as we have seen with the recent survivor panels, college-specific events throughout the year and their response to an anonymous 2019 Thresher opinion. However, we need to readjust how STRIVE is not only viewed and utilized by the student body but also how it is run. The place the organization holds now oversteps into the lives of liaisons and other students and goes beyond what they set out to do with their mission statement.