Fall 2017 Fashion Trends for Houston Weather

ae_fall_trends_graphic

By Amelia Calautti     10/24/17 11:59pm

Fall has finally arrived — days are shortening, temperatures are dropping and the leaves are changing. Oh wait — we’re in Houston. Three weeks into October and it’s still 80 degrees by 3 p.m. While your friends at Cornell and the University of Michigan have been wearing cardigans, jeans and boots for the last three months, you are still rocking the same athletic shorts, oversized tees and Birks from the summer. But don’t let the Houston heat stop you from flaunting the latest trends premiered at last month’s fashion weeks. Here are this year’s fall trends along with ways to adapt them to the not-so-fall weather.

null

null

1. ’70s Plaid

Update your classic flannel with an ode to ’70s plaid. This pattern incorporates colors like brown, yellow and orange, perfect for fall. Avoid heavy flannels and instead turn to more weather-appropriate mini skirts and shirt dresses.

2. Glitter

As the last few months of 2017 are rolling in, get a head start on the New Year’s Eve fun with sequin and glitter-filled tops. Make sure to keep the look sophisticated with darker colors like black, silver, gold and navy, and limit the sparkles to one article of clothing at a time. Sequin crop tops are perfect for a night out and can be paired with skirts or jeans, or make a statement with a pair of embellished shorts.

null

null

3. Political Slogans

With so many contemporary social movements in the U.S., you can create a fashionable and functional look with a graphic tee that supports your cause. This trend was all over New York Fashion Week runways, flaunting messages of feminism and female empowerment. However, this trend can extend to all types of movements, such as Black Lives Matter or LGBTQ rights.

null

null

4. Couch Florals

Think of your grandma’s vintage couch that smells like mothballs. Now imagine that on your body. This is basically the idea of couch florals. This trend includes muted colors and deeper tones than your usual spring florals and looks great with edgier pieces such as leather jackets and combat boots. Wear this pattern in the form of a wrap dress or lace camisole to channel vintage vibes.

null

null

5. Sheer

Perhaps the most visible trend across college campuses, sheer material has taken parties by storm. Lightweight and versatile, sheer tops can be paired with a bralette for a stylish and practical solution to sweaty private parties. Sheer shirts come in a variety of styles such as mesh, lace or embroidery, and are most popular in black and white.