Monday, April 19, 2021 — Houston, TX 58°

Counting Sheep: An Exposé on Ignorance

chad_wesselkamper_maggie_cox_col

By Chad Wesselkamper and Maggie Cox     10/24/17 10:52pm

Richard Dawkins, a world renowned scientist, wrote, “When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal force, the truth does not necessarily lie midway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong. And that justifies passion on the other side.” In a world riddled with unprecedented animosity, obscene amounts of greed and inequality, human rights emergencies and a planet near collapse, there is no time to be lulled by the tempting placidity of chosen ignorance.

The culture we live in is brutally dominated by dogmatic beliefs that feed on a lukewarm stew of apathy and systematic brainwashing. Too frequently, we as citizens of the universe unflinchingly accept as truth the ideologies we are force-fed from birth — “My god is greater, my god is stronger, my god is higher than any other.” a passage sung by choirs of cattle, branded without hesitation, slaves masquerading behind the frail guise of free will.

How do you really know that your god is greater?

How do you really know your god is higher than any other?

How do you really know that you know anything at all?

We are dwelling in a time of social decay, allowing the pious bourgeoisie to flog us with their laws and doctrine. How can we so blatantly allow an incompetent, orange-haired ignoramus to call the shots for this country when he has proved unable to serve as president? The asinine supporters of this buffoon are so quick to turn a blind eye and justify their grotesque nationalism by parading American exceptionalism and clinging to the sovereign myth of “freedom.” This country, a global laughing stock at best, was founded on the promise of freedom and equality. But as you climb the ladder of consciousness, you will obtain a bird’s eye view of our society. We are not free. We are not equal. We are slaves. Slavery is furtively hidden within the constructs of our society guised as drug laws, socio-economic status, housing stipulations, physical appearance, misogyny and other warning symbols that sound an alarm when the “consensus of truth” is breached.

As citizens of the universe, we (as young people) do not have the privilege of a future guaranteed, and to blindly accept a culture that prioritizes “networking” and “elevator pitches” is to put a trite stamp of approval on the perpetually snowballing conditions that got us here.

After the election that landed an unapologetically racist, climate-change-denying, wealth-hoarding advocate of sexual assault in the White House, the Thresher ran articles that boasted opinions from all sides, providing a platform for “victimized” Trump supporters — the same cretins who had just handed our planet a death wish and ripped any illusion of equality from each individual not blessed with the birthright of “white male.” Today, the closest thing to controversy that the Thresher flaunts is a scathing review of the parking strife within the hedges.

It is our job as humans to demand and fight for justice, love and truth. You may even be gawking to your friends right now while studying for Gen Chem that these authors are biased, misguided and even crazy, but we are here to say that some beliefs are plain old wrong! This era of madness requires the disposal of “politically correct” language because we will no longer stand for the delusional white sheep blissfully ravaging our world and never once turning back to view the carnage they created.

It’s time that we boldly stand against the systems and ideologies that promote, institutionalize and condone the inequality and avarice that rule our nation. There are guilty parties, and as an act of love for our fellow citizens of the universe, we must be willing to stand against them. The great Desmond Tutu said that “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”

The revolution we so desperately need is certainly not compatible with silence.

Letter to the Editor: What should we call “Willy Week”?

As the parade to Beer Bike 1992 devolved into a water balloon melee, I picked up a pink water balloon and flung it in the general direction of a group of Sidizens who had been pelting me and my fellow Wiessmen with them.  As I did so, I felt my Rice ring slip from my finger.  A moment later, in the distance, I heard the metallic ping as my ring fell to the pavement.  “My ring!  My ring came off!”  I don’t know how I was heard over the din of laughter and yelling, but in a few moments, Rice students from three or four colleges paused their good-natured rivalry and helped me recover it, only a little worse for wear.  I wore that slightly dented ring up until replacing it for my 25th reunion a few years ago.

Account for international students when planning for fall

On Rice’s campus, a light at the end of the pandemic tunnel finally seems to be emerging. The administration is optimistic about “a mostly normal fall semester,” according to communications sent out by Kevin Kirby. According to President Leebron’s announcement on fall planning, most classes are expected to be in person, most university housing is expected to be fully occupied and COVID-19 policies regarding gathering restrictions are expected to be relaxed. The road forward for many Rice students is clear: Sign up for a vaccine appointment as soon as possible and wait for more than 80% of the Rice community to be fully vaccinated so that COVID-19 policies can be relaxed.

We still need to care about voter suppression in a post-Trump America

Just a couple of months ago, Gov. Greg Abbott declared “election integrity” to be an emergency item for the 2021 Texas legislative session. This was promptly followed by the National Republican Party launching a committee to pursue state election laws, praising Abbott’s initiative. With Senate Bill 7 (SB 7) and its House equivalent (HB 6), in addition to other bills directed at restricting voting access like House Bill 2293, marginalized groups will be further restricted from their right to vote. Shift workers who rely on later voting place hours will be without options. Individuals with disabilities who require vote-by-mail will be burdened with providing proof of their condition. Drive-thru voting will be banned. The role of poll watchers, already infamous for attracting self-appointed vigilantes of voter intimidation, will be able to record voters who receive help filling out their ballots.