Monday, November 28, 2022 — Houston, TX

Onwenu, Ravella win SA races

sa_elections_graphic

By Drew Keller and Christina Tan     3/16/17 1:05pm

Former Sid Richardson College Senator Justin Onwenu won the 2017 election for Student Association president with 38 percent of first-choice votes. Wiess College Senator Revathi Ravella won the race for SA External Vice President with 63 percent to Baker College Senator Rushi Bhalani's 35 percent. Referenda to approve revised versions of the SA and Honor Council Constitutions passed with greater than 90 percent of votes in favor.

In the presidential race, current SA EVP and former Wiess Senator Hannah Todd came in second with 32 percent of first-choice votes. Todd launched a write-in campaign for the position an hour after voting opened. University Court member and former Will Rice College Senator Jake Nyquist came in third with 26 percent of first-choice votes.

Under the SA's voting system, voters rank ballot candidates and write-ins for each position in order of preference. Then, several 'rounds' of vote counting are carried out. In each, the candidate with the least votes is eliminated, then voters are allocated to the remaining candidate who was their next preference. In this election, the counting process took three rounds. In the first, write-in candidates other than Todd were eliminated; in the second, Nyquist was eliminated; in the third, Onwenu won with 64 percent of reallocated votes to Todd's 36 percent. This process is distinct from the two rounds of voting which will occur for SA positions: The second round general election will take place after Spring Break for SA Treasurer, Internal Vice President and other subsidiary organization positions.

Despite the fact that some part-time students were initially prevented from voting and the filing of a subsequent complaint against the Election Committee by current SA President Griffin Thomas, the presidential election had more recorded votes than any past SA race, with 1875 students voting. After a hearing, UCourt found the Election Committee in violation of three sections of the SA constitution and decided to extend the voting period for five days for part-time students who had not yet been able to vote.

At 48 percent of the undergraduate population, the turnout rate appeared to fall just short of the 2009 SA election, which narrowly surpassed 50 percent of eligible voters in a smaller student body; however, that election had the highest participation rate since at least the early 1980s, according to Thresher reporting.

This article was edited to correct Ravella and Bhalani's position to Senator. A previous version stated incorrectly that they are New Student Representatives.

Volleyball beats No. 20 Western Kentucky in title game to reach C-USA hilltop

In 2019, the Rice volleyball team took on Western Kentucky University in the Conference USA final only to lose in a five-set heartbreaker. They got another shot at the Hilltoppers in the following year’s title game, and again in 2021, but both times WKU came out on top. Just ten days earlier, while not in the conference tournament, the Hilltoppers beat the Owls in a fifth-set tiebreaker to secure the C-USA regular season title. Sunday, though, the result was different. The No. 22 Owls finally made it past their conference rival, on the No. 20 Hilltoppers’ home court no less, to secure a conference title for the first time since 2018. After the match, head coach Genny Volpe said that she was thrilled to see her team rewarded for their efforts all year.

Tech layoffs, hiring freezes hit Rice community

As layoff and hiring freezes increase across the tech industry, computer science students and alumni are among those at Rice expressing concern for their current and future job prospects. In recent weeks, Elon Musk halved Twitter’s staff, Meta said it was firing 11,000 employees, Amazon announced plans to cut approximately 10,000 jobs and other tech firms such as Lyft and Stripe also announced layoffs.

RUPD launches Food for Fines initiative

The Rice University Police Department launched a “Food for Fines” initiative, during which students can donate food and hygiene items to cover unpaid parking tickets. From Nov. 15 to Nov. 17, students can bring products to PCF 1 anytime from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.