Friday, December 03, 2021 — Houston, TX °

V2C2 must support humanities, arts research

By Thresher Editorial Board     2/15/17 8:00am

Several ongoing research projects at Rice University might not exist without federal grants through the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities. As President Donald Trump threatens to cut funding to the NEA and the NEH as part of his plans to trim the deficit, these projects are now at risk (see p. 1).

Recently, Rice President David Leebron launched his V2C2 initiative to gather ideas from the Rice community in shaping the direction of the university in the next five to 10 years. V2C2 specifically asks students how the university should encourage research, what major new endeavors Rice should pursue, and whether any aspects of Rice’s culture need to change. When answering these questions, remember the arts and humanities. As such, we urge students to complete the V2C2 survey by emphasizing their commitment to arts and humanities research at Rice. Together, we can demonstrate to the administration that current research under threat should be continued and Rice’s culture shifted to place equal value on STEM and the humanities.

Now, more than ever, we need strong support and commitment from Rice as we face the prospect of a diminished emphasis for the arts and humanities on a federal level. Even as the arts and sciences are becoming politicized topics, Rice must remain a beacon of higher education and institution that continues to promote research and learning, with or without federal funding.

Volleyball sweeps San Diego in NCAA tourney, set for rematch with Texas

Rice volleyball will get another shot at No. 2 University of Texas, Austin after they swept the University of San Diego on Thursday in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The Owls took all three sets against the Toreros by at least five points, en route to the second victory in an NCAA tournament game in program history. After the game, head coach Genny Volpe said she was confident from the get-go. 

From provost to president: DesRoches talks road to new role

Until an earthquake struck northern California, Provost Reginald DesRoches intended to be a mechanical engineer. While studying for his Ph.D. at University of California, Berkeley, DesRoches said he was used to feeling tremors in the ground — but this earthquake, approximately a 7.0 on the Richter scale, was different.