Saturday, August 17, 2019 — Houston, TX 84°

V2C2 must support humanities, arts research

By Thresher Editorial Board     2/15/17 8:00am

Several ongoing research projects at Rice University might not exist without federal grants through the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities. As President Donald Trump threatens to cut funding to the NEA and the NEH as part of his plans to trim the deficit, these projects are now at risk (see p. 1).

Recently, Rice President David Leebron launched his V2C2 initiative to gather ideas from the Rice community in shaping the direction of the university in the next five to 10 years. V2C2 specifically asks students how the university should encourage research, what major new endeavors Rice should pursue, and whether any aspects of Rice’s culture need to change. When answering these questions, remember the arts and humanities. As such, we urge students to complete the V2C2 survey by emphasizing their commitment to arts and humanities research at Rice. Together, we can demonstrate to the administration that current research under threat should be continued and Rice’s culture shifted to place equal value on STEM and the humanities.

Now, more than ever, we need strong support and commitment from Rice as we face the prospect of a diminished emphasis for the arts and humanities on a federal level. Even as the arts and sciences are becoming politicized topics, Rice must remain a beacon of higher education and institution that continues to promote research and learning, with or without federal funding.

Best and Worst of: Lollapalooza 2019

While attending the four-day festival was enough to give us some pretty persistent post-concert depression (not to mention legs of steel and black festival snot for days), there were some parts that we won’t really miss — like the canned water and soul-sucking L trip back to our Airbnb. While not all aspects of Lollapalooza may have been worth storming the fence for, there were certainly many that left a lasting impression, and reasons that Lollapalooza stood out as a festival to remember.

A new coffee shop on the first floor of McNair Hall is projected to open for business this September, according to Peter Rodriguez, dean of the Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business. According to Rodriguez, several external vendors are currently competing for a contract. Whichever vendor is selected will choose the baristas who will staff the coffee shop and the types of coffee and food offered, Rodriguez said.