Friday, August 23, 2019 — Houston, TX 80°

Resist policies steeped in hatred and racism

For many of us, it can be easy to pretend our lives are removed from daily political battles. However, Trump administration’s most recent actions have struck closer to home, visibly impacting the Rice community (see p. 1). To that end, the Thresher supports President Leebron’s promise to not reveal students’ immigration status or origins and to provide legal assistance to those barred from returning to Rice.

The ban against immigration from predominantly Muslim countries is against our nation’s values. A true fact, not an alternative one, is that not a single person in the U.S. has been killed in a terrorist attack by an immigrant from the seven prohibited nations. The same ideology that panders to fear informs the proposed creation of a wall with Mexico and the potentially impending end of the Deferred Action of Childhood Arrivals program.

As people who have the privilege of higher education, we can examine the U.S. historically and understand the context of this ban and the proposed wall. We have a responsibility to ask: How has our nation, even before Trump, allowed othering to thrive? How is hatred woven into this nation’s history, and how did we create an environment in which such policies can exist?

The first step, especially for those who are unscathed by recent policies, is to listen and learn from those who are suffering. Beyond listening, there are concrete actions to make an impact, both within Rice’s hedges and outside them. A wide variety of events, from PAIR week, which is making welcome kits for refugees, and Rice Stands with Refugees, to the Moody Center’s Green Light exhibit that draws attention and provides donations to refugees and migrants, are accessible ways to become involved. Consider donating to the ACLU or community-based organizations. Above all, stay engaged, and don’t give up.

Best and Worst of: Lollapalooza 2019

While attending the four-day festival was enough to give us some pretty persistent post-concert depression (not to mention legs of steel and black festival snot for days), there were some parts that we won’t really miss — like the canned water and soul-sucking L trip back to our Airbnb. While not all aspects of Lollapalooza may have been worth storming the fence for, there were certainly many that left a lasting impression, and reasons that Lollapalooza stood out as a festival to remember.

A new coffee shop on the first floor of McNair Hall is projected to open for business this September, according to Peter Rodriguez, dean of the Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business. According to Rodriguez, several external vendors are currently competing for a contract. Whichever vendor is selected will choose the baristas who will staff the coffee shop and the types of coffee and food offered, Rodriguez said.