Opportunities abound for activists

By Mahdi Fariss     2/16/17 8:07pm

Our segment of the Berlin Wall defaced.

Willy’s Statue became a canvas for hate.

If you see the Rice community’s exceptionally brief, muted response to these acts of vandalism as testament to its coolness under stress and unwillingness to bend to provocateurs, I sincerely applaud your ability to see the good in an apparently unfortunate situation. You might also be shocked and discouraged by this response. You might feel our reticence is allowing a sweeping normalization of blatant indecency to slowly make its home at Rice.

If this sounds like you, do not fret. A number of groups, organizations, and movements at Rice and beyond directly oppose this broad cultural shift and the implications it has for real people’s lives. I encourage you to take part in work already being done and furthermore exercise your right as a citizen.

If you worry about our environment and the effects of climate change, join TFCCA (Texans for Climate Change Action). Also, call your senator or representative.

If you worry about racial justice, support BLM, the National Organization for Asian and Pacific Island Issues, or the Organization of Chinese Americans. Also, call your senator or representative.

If you worry about LGBTQ+ issues, get involved with The Montrose Center, or perhaps our very own Queer Resource Center. Also, call your senator or representative.

If you worry about women’s rights and reproductive justice donate to Planned Parenthood. Also, call your senator or representative.

If you worry about the refugee crisis join PAIR (Partnership for the Advancement and Immersion of Refugees). Also, call your senator or representative.

If you worry about the state of immigration, come out to the Immigration Day of Action this Friday, where you can hear from experts on the topic, and of course, have an opportunity to call your senator or representative.

Mahdi Fariss is a McMurtry College sophomore

Honor at Rice is in jeopardy

I decided to go to Rice in part because I was told that this university had a unique culture of honor, trust and freedom. The honor system is one of Rice’s longest-standing traditions, created by the first class in 1912. I joined the Honor Council four years ago because I believed that students, rather than faculty or administration, should keep other students accountable and that their cases be heard by their peers.