Saturday, May 30, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Letter to the Editor: Jan. 25 backpage dismaying

By Michael Reed and José Aranda     1/31/17 10:58pm

To the Editors:

We were dismayed to read the content of the Jan. 25 edition of the Thresher Backpage. As college masters we are familiar with the difficult and important job that Lisa Zollner, director of Student Judicial Programs, undertakes on behalf of our community every day. History has shown that, time and again, women in highly visible leadership positions are criticized for their work in ways that are different from men in these positions. Certainly, those previously in charge of SJP have been the target of send-ups in the Backpage over the years. But by proclaiming that the page is “in honor of the Women’s March” while simultaneously “satirizing” Lisa Zollner in ways that imply that the judicial decisions she makes are based on her gender, and that she would get drunk and proposition a student, is disrespect woven more around her identity as a woman in charge than a person in charge. She deserves more respectful treatment than this, and members of the Thresher staff can certainly write better, and be funnier, than this.

Michael Reed, Will Rice College Master

José Aranda, Brown College Master

Don’t overlook Black lives in pandemic solidarity

The COVID-19 pandemic seems to have given rise to a new phrase that has been thrown around by media outlets and social media users across the country: “We are all in this together.” Don’t get me wrong — I am not denying the fact that every person in this country has been impacted by the virus in some capacity, and I am certainly not denying the rise in local expressions of solidarity. Over the past couple months, we’ve seen students and volunteers across the country donate their time and resources to help their neighbors.  Young people have come together on social media platforms to address issues surrounding mental health and online learning, creating a sense of community while also practicing social distancing. I am not denying the presence of solidarity. What I would like to discuss, however, is the fallacy of solidarity in a racialized society.