Monday, December 05, 2022 — Houston, TX

Letter to the Editor: How is Jan. 25 backpage satire?

By Melissa Marschall , Margaret Beier , Bridget Gorman , Mikki Hebl , Vivian Ho , Rachel Kimbro , Carrie Masiello , Maria Oden , Barbara Ostdiek , Annise Parker , Sandy Parsons , Rebecca Richards-Kortum , Libby Vann , Marcia Walker-McWilliams and Sarah Whiting     1/31/17 10:57pm

To the Editors:

The Thresher’s Backpage assures its readers that it’s satire, but let’s pause for a moment to consider what that means. Satire has historically been a powerful tool of the press: Writers and cartoonists have always relied upon exaggeration, humor and ridicule. Satire’s aim is actually pretty simple: It points forward, with a desire to change the world for the better, making us laugh in the process.

We, members of the “Posse of the Positive,” referenced in the terrific article by Yasna Haghdoost on the front page of the Thresher last week, share that ambition: We want to help point forward. We’re employing advocacy, but we encourage all forms of discourses, satire included.

But we’re flummoxed by the Backpage send-up of the Women’s March that was specifically targeted at Lisa Zollner, director of Student Judicial Programs. We’re all used to the Thresher’s tendency to a more crass form of satire than one would find in, say, Aristophanes or Mark Twain. And Rice administrators have been frequent targets of the Backpage. But even with these expectations, we’re scratching our heads as to how this backpage piece operates as satire. Forward? Nope. Better world? Nope. What a missed opportunity.

Margaret Beier, McMurtry College Master

Bridget Gorman, Will Rice College Master

Mikki Hebl, Chair of Psychology

Vivian Ho, Professor of Economics

Rachel Kimbro, Professor of Sociology

Melissa Marschall, Professor of Political Science

Carrie Masiello, Professor of Earth Science

Maria Oden, Professor in Practice of Engineering

Barbara Ostdiek, Associate Professor of Finance

Annise Parker, Former Mayor of Houston

Sandy Parsons, Assistant Teaching Professor of Psychology

Rebecca Richards-Kortum, Director of Rice 360

Libby Vann, Director of Programs Center for Civic Leadership

Marcia Walker-McWilliams, Associate Director, Programs for Center for Civic Leadership

Sarah Whiting, Dean and William Ward Watkin Professor of Architecture

Is using Fizz worth sacrificing our Culture of Care?

The social media app Fizz made its way to our campus earlier this semester, offering an anonymous discussion platform for exchanging messages and memes amongst Rice students. In recent weeks, antisemitic and racist posts were made by members of our community on this app. It is entirely hateful and dangerously intolerant. 

International issues deserve our attention, too

Anyone who walked through the academic quad on Monday encountered the statue of William Marsh Rice visibly covered by sheets of A4 paper that read “习近平下台,” which roughly translates to “Resign Xi Jinping.” Other signs read “No emperor in a republic” and “Not my president.” These signs are part of larger protests happening in mainland China — that are being echoed by Chinese people across the world — in response to nearly three years of aggressive COVID lockdowns across the country. 

Where we must agree: the politics of humanness

The words “free speech” will likely elicit groans from Thresher readers. Over the last three years, there have been three articles in the Opinion section bemoaning the need for a “classically liberal” political discourse at Rice. Unfortunately, between their self-righteousness and needless wordiness, they read more like whiny lectures than conversation starters. However, despite their condescension, their existence does suggest something unsettling about not just our campus politics, but politics at large. As the electorates of democracies around the world have become more sharply divided, the way we speak to each other, not just across the aisle but to our similarly minded partisans, has become more accusatory, exclusionary and violent. Put simply: we do not want to talk to each other, and understandably so. It is exhausting, and, more than that, we just don’t seem to know how to.