Saturday, August 17, 2019 — Houston, TX 84°

Momentum from election should push out apathy

By Thresher Editorial Board     11/16/16 8:00am

As the transition process for Donald Trump’s presidency continues to unfold, students have every right to express concern over important political issues, whether they relate to the environment, reproductive rights, the status of immigrants or affordable health care. The documented rise of hate crimes targeting various minority groups is also cause for serious concern.

It is thus unsurprising that students on campus have responded overwhelmingly with shock, grief and in some cases, anger (see Hopes and fears: Campus reacts to Trump).

Whether it is through a midnight vigil, hosting events raising awareness about a social issues, fundraising for nonprofits, marching in protest or perhaps just expressing frustration on social media, we must realize that everyone is processing this event differently, and that they deserve our empathy and respect.

To make matters more thorny, many of the current issues at stake feel deeply personal or emotionally charged for many — and rightfully so. Nonetheless, now is not the time to balk from engaging in dialogue with those whom we may vehemently disagree; we must strive for greater communication and understanding whenever we can.

These times can be especially trying for students who are a part of marginalized communities, as they may feel frustrated or angry at having to continually explain their struggles to those who do not share in them. It is at times like these where allies are crucial in alleviating that burden; those of us who have the ability or energy to speak up share a responsibility in promoting the rights of oppressed groups.

Be an ally not just in their moments of distress, but in the small conversations you have with those around you, where you have the power to shift mindsets and elevate the discourse.

We often hear that Rice students are as a whole apathetic, but this election has proven otherwise. As we see our community mobilize and rally in solidarity, we are reminded of perhaps the one positive outcome of Tuesday’s election results: We have been forced to acknowledge the many serious issues facing our society, issues that for many oppressed groups have always been a daily reality. Now the rest of us have to pay attention, too.

Best and Worst of: Lollapalooza 2019

While attending the four-day festival was enough to give us some pretty persistent post-concert depression (not to mention legs of steel and black festival snot for days), there were some parts that we won’t really miss — like the canned water and soul-sucking L trip back to our Airbnb. While not all aspects of Lollapalooza may have been worth storming the fence for, there were certainly many that left a lasting impression, and reasons that Lollapalooza stood out as a festival to remember.

A new coffee shop on the first floor of McNair Hall is projected to open for business this September, according to Peter Rodriguez, dean of the Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business. According to Rodriguez, several external vendors are currently competing for a contract. Whichever vendor is selected will choose the baristas who will staff the coffee shop and the types of coffee and food offered, Rodriguez said.