Thursday, May 13, 2021 — Houston, TX 66°

Momentum from election should push out apathy

By Thresher Editorial Board     11/16/16 8:00am

As the transition process for Donald Trump’s presidency continues to unfold, students have every right to express concern over important political issues, whether they relate to the environment, reproductive rights, the status of immigrants or affordable health care. The documented rise of hate crimes targeting various minority groups is also cause for serious concern.

It is thus unsurprising that students on campus have responded overwhelmingly with shock, grief and in some cases, anger (see Hopes and fears: Campus reacts to Trump).

Whether it is through a midnight vigil, hosting events raising awareness about a social issues, fundraising for nonprofits, marching in protest or perhaps just expressing frustration on social media, we must realize that everyone is processing this event differently, and that they deserve our empathy and respect.

To make matters more thorny, many of the current issues at stake feel deeply personal or emotionally charged for many — and rightfully so. Nonetheless, now is not the time to balk from engaging in dialogue with those whom we may vehemently disagree; we must strive for greater communication and understanding whenever we can.

These times can be especially trying for students who are a part of marginalized communities, as they may feel frustrated or angry at having to continually explain their struggles to those who do not share in them. It is at times like these where allies are crucial in alleviating that burden; those of us who have the ability or energy to speak up share a responsibility in promoting the rights of oppressed groups.

Be an ally not just in their moments of distress, but in the small conversations you have with those around you, where you have the power to shift mindsets and elevate the discourse.

We often hear that Rice students are as a whole apathetic, but this election has proven otherwise. As we see our community mobilize and rally in solidarity, we are reminded of perhaps the one positive outcome of Tuesday’s election results: We have been forced to acknowledge the many serious issues facing our society, issues that for many oppressed groups have always been a daily reality. Now the rest of us have to pay attention, too.

Soccer upsets No. 5 WVU in NCAA tournament, advance to round of 16

No. 25 Rice soccer upset No. 5 West Virginia University 1-0 on Saturday afternoon, moving on to the third round of the NCAA tournament in Cary, North Carolina next week. While the Mountaineers controlled possession for most of the game, the Owls managed to squeeze out a narrow victory behind a penalty shot in the 74th minute and lockdown defense throughout the game. In the round of 16, the Owls will play the No. 12 University of Virginia. After the match, head coach Brian Lee lauded his team’s effort in pulling off the upset.

From the Editor’s Desk: Journalism takes a village

Remember that we are fellow students seeking to deliver truth to the community with the best intentions in mind. I am deeply appreciative of every student, staff member, faculty and administrator that has shared their stories, data and viewpoints with me. Without the Rice community’s buy-in, the important work we do would not be possible.