Monday, April 06, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Letter to the Editor: No need for Rice to save face

By Timothy Howell     9/21/16 8:49am

To the Editor:

I am writing to state my viewpoint of the Marching Owl Band show on Friday, Sept. 16. I feel that the MOB did absolutely nothing wrong, and the administration should not have issued the statement that it did.

The MOB did not make a “rape joke.” The MOB did not mock the victims of sexual assault at Baylor University. The MOB did not mock sexual assault at all. What the MOB did was satirize the individual Baylor officials who were aware of the sexual assaults, did nothing to stop the assaults and showed no respect to or empathy for the young women who were the true victims. This is an important distinction that has been missed by many people and members of the media.

Former Baylor head coach Art Briles was in the stands watching the game Friday night. I know Rice has minimal control over who obtains tickets for the game, but this shows extremely poor judgment on the part of Mr. Briles. Even worse, I understand that Baylor fans applauded Mr. Briles.

The statement issued by Rice University ends by stating, “It is apparent from the comments of many spectators and Baylor fans that the MOB’s effort may have gone too far.” The Rice administration has based its response on the reaction of Baylor fans. These are the same fans showing support for Mr. Briles, despite his heinous actions — or lack of action. In essence, Rice University is also showing support for Mr. Briles and making him out as a victim. This is totally incorrect. The young women who were assaulted at Baylor are the victims — Mr. Briles and Mr. Starr deserve no respect or compassion at all.

Rice University prides itself on teaching young people to be creative and open-minded, not to follow the path of least resistance. By making the statement that it did, the Rice administration has not upheld these principles. Rather, the administration has responded to knee-jerk reactions by media and Baylor fans with its own knee-jerk reaction.

There was no need for Rice to try to “save face.” The MOB did nothing to be ashamed of. The MOB did nothing that needed an apology. The MOB used satire to bring more attention to an awful situation that has unfortunately fallen from the public eye. The Rice administration could have shown support for the sexual assault victims and for the MOB. The administration could have done nothing. Instead, the Rice University administration chose the worst course of action by issuing an unnecessary apology.

I plan to be at all the home football games this year. I will continue to fully support the MOB. I hope the Rice University administration can find a way to do the same.

Timothy Howell

Hanszen College ’92, ’94

A call to revive, revamp and maintain Rice culture(s)

When we ran for our Student Association executive team positions and defined our platforms, we did not anticipate the arrival of COVID-19. Due to these unusual circumstances, we as members of the executive team have been rapidly thrust into our roles. We have relayed student concerns to administrators and have made an effort to amplify student voices as much as possible. We have been strategizing how we can best communicate with all of the Rice community during the coming weeks as we resume our virtual classwork. But throughout it all, one question has remained on our minds: How can we establish and maintain an intimate, engaging Rice culture and connection while members of the Rice community are so physically distant from each other?   

To professors and students alike: please lower your standards

Last week, we urged the administration to grant students academic accommodations in light of the unprecedented era we are existing in. That happened the next day, when the Faculty Senate voted unanimously in favor of a series of motions intended to alleviate the weight of academics on undergraduates this semester, including one that allows students to designate all courses this semester pass/fail. We applaud the administration for taking such an important step in doing right by students as we try to navigate the rest of our semester remotely.