Saturday, November 27, 2021 — Houston, TX °

​MOB performance not an excuse for complacency

By Thresher Editorial Board     9/21/16 9:44am

The Thresher applauds the Marching Owl Band’s performance during the halftime show of the Rice University vs. Baylor University football game (see p.1). The MOB forced a nationwide community to acknowledge our society’s rape culture that allows for a survivor’s trauma to be brushed aside in the name of athletics.

As a public relations defense mechanism, Rice’s statement in response to the performance was unwarranted and poorly written. Immediately following the halftime show, students and community members were not particularly in favor of the performance; reactions ranged from a knee-jerk exasperation of “what has the MOB done this time” to an ambivalent, uncomfortable uncertainty. The cowardice of Rice’s statement, accompanied by nationally published opinion pieces defending the MOB and criticizing Rice’s half-hearted “non-apology,” seemed to turn the tide in favor of the MOB.

The hasty edits to the piece following its release are clear evidence that the statement was not well thought out. While the initial release of the statement said the MOB’s effort “went too far,” this was discreetly replaced with a “may have gone too far,” making a statement already tiptoeing around feelings all the more wishy-washy.

Although Dean of Undergraduates John Hutchinson said the statement was not an apology, the intent was unclear and, given the national attention on the story, frankly irrelevant. Lovett College President Rahul Kothari said he felt the statement was an apology at first glance, but changed his mind after speaking with the administration. If a statement requires clarification from its writers to prove its purpose, then what is the point of releasing a statement at all? When thousands of people have already interpreted the statement as an apology, it is clear that the statement, at the very least, lacks a cohesive and apparent purpose. In this case, although the Rice administration did not denounce the MOB, they should have defended it and supported the message against sexual assault, instead of exhibiting poor judgment in a public relations scramble.

The MOB’s performance has demonstrated that the Rice community must answer pressing questions on what constitutes an appropriate space for addressing sexual assault, and who decides on which spaces meet the criteria. After the release of the Survey of Unwanted Sexual Experiences exactly one year ago, the Rice community agreed that conversations about sexual assault should take place around the dinner table — but now we balk at the idea of discussing sexual assault around the football field.

Above all, in our efforts to shed light on sexual assault at other universities, we must not turn a blind eye to our own campus. A cover-up of sexual assault can be as simple as when peers or friends discourage a survivor from “ruining” a perpetrator’s life by reporting. And Rice is certainly not immune to this kind of cover-up. If we plan to point out the rape culture at other universities, we better be prepared to dismantle the rape culture at Rice.

Unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the Thresher editorial staff. All other opinion pieces represent solely the opinion of the piece’s author.

Forbes wins regionals, Women’s XC qualifies for NCAAs

Sophomore distance runner Grace Forbes followed up her conference title with a first-place finish at the NCAA South-Central Cross Country Regional on Friday in Waco, TX, helping the Rice women’s team to a second place finish. The result earned them a spot in this Saturday’s NCAA championships for just the seventh time in program history. 

From the opinion editor’s desk: The opinion section is a space meant for the Rice community

As the semester nears its end, it’s time to reflect on the state of the opinion section this fall amidst a near return to normalcy, and to look forward to another semester of opinions. We’ve had a multitude of opinions and editorials published on a wide range of subjects. Still, some people coming to campus for the first time or who did not engage much with our paper while we were working online last year may not be all that familiar with the opinion section. I want to reintroduce the possibilities that the section offers for all of the Rice community.

It’s time to talk about Willy

Last week, the Board of Trustees announced that Reginald DesRoches, Rice’s current provost, will be the next president of Rice University. DesRoches will be the eighth president in the history of the university, and the first person of color and foreign-born person to hold the position. We applaud the Board’s selection of DesRoches, and wish him great success in his new role. But because there are seven months left before the beginning of his tenure, we would like to pen one of our final editorials to President David Leebron and the Board of Directors. It’s time to talk about everyone’s favorite subject — one that has found itself in our news section repeatedly — the statue of one William Marsh Rice.