Wednesday, May 12, 2021 — Houston, TX 63°

Letter to the Editor: I will not vote for Trump

By Jed Greenberg     9/21/16 8:52am

In a past article on the Rice University College Republican’s choice not to endorse Donald Trump, I stated that Trump’s picks for the Supreme Court are reason to support him. Though true that such potential justices as Don Willett of Texas would interpret laws in a way that I believe benefits conservative causes, I will not vote for Trump.

This primary season, I worked for the Jeb Bush campaign, and intend to write Jeb onto my ballot. While I believe Trump’s supreme court picks would help steer this country in the right direction, his inexperience and inability to work with others outweigh the value of his nominations.

I said what I did to show that one can support Trump for reasons having nothing to do with hate or ignorance. Too often conversations over dinner at the servery become a sanctimonious dogpile of who can hate on Trump the most, and I think it is important to hear both sides.

American politics are nuanced. We have two candidates trying to appeal to many different interests. There are infinite reasons, good and bad, to support either candidate. We must make a conscious meticulous effort to engage civilly with our peers and make dinnertime conversations great again.

Jed Greenberg

Jones College '19

From the Editor’s Desk: Journalism takes a village

Remember that we are fellow students seeking to deliver truth to the community with the best intentions in mind. I am deeply appreciative of every student, staff member, faculty and administrator that has shared their stories, data and viewpoints with me. Without the Rice community’s buy-in, the important work we do would not be possible. 

Refocus STRIVE to fulfill its original purpose

As a Students Turning Rice Into a Violence-Free Environment liaison, the organization and its mission are incredibly important to me. I originally joined because, as a survivor myself, I wanted to be a part of facilitating safe spaces on campus through educating my peers and acting as a resource to provide support. STRIVE cares a lot about the student body and puts an extreme number of hours into raising awareness and making themselves accessible, as we have seen with the recent survivor panels, college-specific events throughout the year and their response to an anonymous 2019 Thresher opinion. However, we need to readjust how STRIVE is not only viewed and utilized by the student body but also how it is run. The place the organization holds now oversteps into the lives of liaisons and other students and goes beyond what they set out to do with their mission statement.