Wednesday, June 03, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Letter to the Editor: Disappointed

By Sally Chew     9/21/16 8:50am

Dear President Leebron,

I am writing to let you know that I am very disappointed that the university felt the need to apologize for the Marching Owl Band halftime show on Sept. 16. The show contained no jokes or satirizing of sexual assault or rape victims. The target was the Baylor University Administration (and, indirectly, many of Baylor’s fans … especially after their appalling ovation for the former coach). We of the Rice community should neither regret nor apologize for any role we might have had in causing or increasing their discomfort about these issues. They should be uncomfortable about them.

While I am unable to be in Houston for any of this year’s games, I will continue to support the MOB “from afar” and will be there in person in the future whenever possible. I hope that you will reconsider your position and support the MOB fully in the future.

Sally Allen Chew

Jones College ’79

MOBster 1975-79, MOB President 1978-79

Non-Black journalists, students and college administrators need to do better. So do we.

On May 25, Derek Chauvin killed George Floyd. Chauvin, a Minnesota police officer, pressed his knee against Floyd’s neck for almost nine minutes while Floyd was handcuffed and lying face down on the ground. Floyd did not merely “die in police custody” as the Washington Post and other publications continue to insist on phrasing it. As Floyd pleaded that he couldn’t breathe, a police officer killed him. Active voice.

Don’t overlook Black lives in pandemic solidarity

The COVID-19 pandemic seems to have given rise to a new phrase that has been thrown around by media outlets and social media users across the country: “We are all in this together.” Don’t get me wrong — I am not denying the fact that every person in this country has been impacted by the virus in some capacity, and I am certainly not denying the rise in local expressions of solidarity. Over the past couple months, we’ve seen students and volunteers across the country donate their time and resources to help their neighbors.  Young people have come together on social media platforms to address issues surrounding mental health and online learning, creating a sense of community while also practicing social distancing. I am not denying the presence of solidarity. What I would like to discuss, however, is the fallacy of solidarity in a racialized society.