Friday, February 23, 2024 — Houston, TX

Letter to the Editor: Disappointed

By Sally Chew     9/21/16 8:50am

Dear President Leebron,

I am writing to let you know that I am very disappointed that the university felt the need to apologize for the Marching Owl Band halftime show on Sept. 16. The show contained no jokes or satirizing of sexual assault or rape victims. The target was the Baylor University Administration (and, indirectly, many of Baylor’s fans … especially after their appalling ovation for the former coach). We of the Rice community should neither regret nor apologize for any role we might have had in causing or increasing their discomfort about these issues. They should be uncomfortable about them.

While I am unable to be in Houston for any of this year’s games, I will continue to support the MOB “from afar” and will be there in person in the future whenever possible. I hope that you will reconsider your position and support the MOB fully in the future.

Sally Allen Chew

Jones College ’79

MOBster 1975-79, MOB President 1978-79

Jae Kim for SA president

Due to his previous successful initiatives, desire to correct flaws within the Student Association and passion for student advocacy, we, the Thresher Editorial Board, endorse Jae Kim for SA president.

Chelsea Asibbey for SA secretary

In a rather rare contested election, the Student Association has two candidates on the upcoming ballot for secretary: Chelsea Asibbey and Calla Doh. Due to her fresh perspective outside of the Student Association, willingness to take initiative on her own ideas and emphasis on serving Rice communities, we, the Thresher Editorial Board, endorse Chelsea Asibbey for SA secretary.