Friday, December 03, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Deputy treasurer position creates leadership pipeline

By Thresher Editorial Board     9/14/16 6:00am

While the Student Association’s decision to create the appointed position of deputy treasurer and deputy parliamentarian (see p. 1) may seem inconsequential, it raises questions about the nature of elected versus appointed positions. The treasurer is elected because students place trust in an individual who is responsible for distributing their funds. Introducing an appointed deputy position with vague responsibilities of “assisting” the treasurer dilutes the power students have in choosing who handles these important decisions.

That seniors are not permitted to hold this position indicates this position may be the first step in a pipeline to becoming treasurer. Though this may be useful for grooming competent candidates, it also reinforces hierarchies that can stifle collaborative environments and create barriers for students who may realize their passion for a particular position later than others. The latter students often end up deciding they have fallen so far behind in the existing hierarchies that they can never reach their leadership goals. The SA treasurer has an unreasonable amount of responsibilities, as we stated previously when Rice Video Productions failed to be properly reviewed. If an assistant is necessary to lessen the burden, the entire student body should make the decision of whether to create this position, appointed or elected, as part of the next general election.

Unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the Thresher editorial staff. All other opinion pieces represent solely the opinion of the piece’s author.

Volleyball sweeps San Diego in NCAA tourney, set for rematch with Texas

Rice volleyball will get another shot at No. 2 University of Texas, Austin after they swept the University of San Diego on Thursday in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The Owls took all three sets against the Toreros by at least five points, en route to the second victory in an NCAA tournament game in program history. After the game, head coach Genny Volpe said she was confident from the get-go. 

From provost to president: DesRoches talks road to new role

Until an earthquake struck northern California, Provost Reginald DesRoches intended to be a mechanical engineer. While studying for his Ph.D. at University of California, Berkeley, DesRoches said he was used to feeling tremors in the ground — but this earthquake, approximately a 7.0 on the Richter scale, was different.