Monday, August 26, 2019 — Houston, TX 80°

Christy's brings discount donuts to Montrose

christys_donuts_johnsuh

By Melody Yip     4/13/16 3:35pm

Amid the polished allure of Krispy Kreme, local chains like Shipley’s and newfangled gourmet donut shops like Hugs & Donuts in the Heights, there’s a local mom-and-pop store in Montrose with a seriously underrated reputation: Christy’s Donuts and Kolaches.

I discovered this gem freshman year, and after tasting their apple fritter, I’ve become a regular customer. They’re not about frills or dressy toppings. Think soft, pillowy donuts in a sweet, delicate glaze and massive kolaches stuffed chock full with jumbo sausage. They’re old-fashioned over there.

The store itself is a dingy, scrappy place that looks like a vintage diner. Coupled with old windows and the saddest-looking coffee condiments counter, Christy’s appeal may seem dubious at first, but wait until you taste the donut.

First, the apple fritter. At just $1.25 for each, the wide disks have an edgy, cinnamon-infused crust of glaze studded with minced apple. Beyond the glaze, the inside features light, yeasty dough that complements the crispy outside’s indulgent flavors. Christy’s donut holes are also a steal. At $1.25 per dozen, the morsels are perfect for sharing, and even if you decide against ordering them, you may find a few complimentary ones snuck into your to-go bag.

On the savory side, Christy’s falls a little flat. Their hearty bacon, egg and cheese croissant sandwich is passable, but only the croissant saves it from being a disappointment. Warming up the sandwich helps to maximize the croissant’s buttery flavor and flaky texture, but the sandwich’s insides are otherwise mediocre. If offered the option of donut or savory breakfast (croissant or kolache), I’m still a donut believer through and through.

I’ve seen doctors, lawyers, construction workers and other college students all frequent Christy’s for a quick breakfast. That just goes to shows how the place embraces a neighborhood feel that invites people in for a perfect pairing of fresh donuts and a steaming cup of coffee.

Best and Worst of: Lollapalooza 2019

While attending the four-day festival was enough to give us some pretty persistent post-concert depression (not to mention legs of steel and black festival snot for days), there were some parts that we won’t really miss — like the canned water and soul-sucking L trip back to our Airbnb. While not all aspects of Lollapalooza may have been worth storming the fence for, there were certainly many that left a lasting impression, and reasons that Lollapalooza stood out as a festival to remember.

Lollapalooza Survival Guide

Summer is here, which means festival season. Chicago is prepping for Lollapalooza, its annual four-day festival in scenic Grant Park. This year’s lineup is packed with musical sensations like Childish Gambino, Twenty One Pilots, Ariana Grande and more. In addition to their high-profile headliners, the festival will also be welcoming a diverse range of rising artists. 

Now playing: Lollapalooza 2019 artists to listen to

Though it’s not as flamboyant as Coachella or as conveniently located as Austin City Limits, Lollapalooza, which will take place over four days starting this Thursday, is an iconic summer affair that kicks off festival season with a bang.