Sunday, October 25, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Men's tennis earns upset win over No. 9 Texas Tech

s_zhou_0317_2016_0001

By Andrew Grottkau     3/28/16 10:26pm

Rice’s No. 40 men’s tennis team faced a tall task going into its weekend match against No. 9 Texas Tech University. After one of their closest matches of the season, the Owls emerged with a 4-3 win to claim the Rice Invitational title. The win marked Rice’s first win over a top-10 opponent in its last 13 tries. 

The match began with three one-set doubles matches to determine the winner of the doubles point. After the Red Raiders claimed the first match, the Owls’ third doubles team rallied from a 4-1 deficit to take their set 7-5. The final doubles set, which determined the winner of the doubles point, went to a tiebreaker tied at 6-6. Rice senior Adam Gustafsson and sophomore Jamie Malik faced set point down 3-6 in the tiebreak before rallying and gritting out a long 14-12 victory to claim the doubles point for the Owls. The duo saved six match points during the tiebreak to claim the crucial point for Rice. 

Rice maintained its momentum from the doubles point in the singles matches. Despite a loss on the top court, the Owls managed to take two of the first three singles matches to push their lead to 3-1 behind winning performances by junior David Warren and freshman Emmanuel Llamas. Though Texas Tech managed to win the next two matches to tie the match at 3-3, freshman Jake Hansen gutted out a three-set victory after losing the first set 2-6 to win 2-6, 6-3, 6-3 and clinch the victory for the Owls. Texas Tech is the highest ranked team Rice has beaten this season. The Owls now sit at 17-5 on the season as they head into an April 1 match against Texas Christian University. 

Experienced Linebackers to lead Owls’ Defense

When Rice football takes the field this Saturday, it will mark the second latest start to a season in school history. This year’s team will beat the record by only two days, which was set back in 1912, when the Owls opened their season on Oct. 26. 

Owls revamped offense looks to bounce back

When the football team opens its season against Middle Tennessee State University on Saturday afternoon, the offense will look a little different than it did last season. In what will be the team’s third season under the direction of Bloomgren and offensive coordinator Jerry Mack, the scheme may be slightly different as well. According to Mack, the coaching staff’s familiarity with the players and the ability to adapt could prove crucial this year. 

Owls name Collins starting quarterback

Football head coach Mike Bloomgren has named his starting quarterback less than two weeks before their first game: Mike Collins, a graduate transfer from Texas Christian University, will be under center when the Owls take the field on Oct. 24.